Thread: Family/Woodcentral get together w/ lots o pics

Family/Woodcentral get together w/ lots o pics

I had the very fine fortune to meet up with Don Orr tonight. I'm in Albany for the week again for work, and after my last trip over here almost a month ago, Don invited me to visit if/when I got the chance to be in the area. The planets aligned and tonight after work the Prius GPS'd me over to chez Orr, where Don and his lovely wife and a friend of theirs and I had a delicious dinner. After lots of laughter and even a barley pop and some cheesecake (Yum!) I got the tour of his wife's pottery studio and then Don's 'Thanks Dad!' workshop.

Folks, he said it was 'messy', but I couldn't tell from where I was sitting. Great space, well laid out and lots of natural light. I'll let him do a shop tour one of these days, if he hasn't already, but suffice to say he's got a very nice shop.

He showed me several recent pieces which he was delivering soon: iirc there were two ash bowls and a spalted ambrosia maple HF which he rescued from a firewood pile.

three views of the maple HF

And then he brought out a gorgeous maple burl bowl which just blew me away.

Here's Don with the burl bowl:

Since we'd had some barley pop, no tools were turned on, but here's proof that I was there. And yes, I'm one step closer to the abyss.

Tomorrow evening I'm joining Don at the first meeting of a new turning club. Sounds like a fun time to me, I'll bring the big camera Don, so I hope the guys/gals don't mind photos.
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 06-11-2008 at 04:12 AM.
    -Ned

Looks like Don's got a nice shop indeed, and is making some very nice stuff with it.

And regarding the Abyss and your proximity...you want it Ned. You know you do. Come to the dark side...we have cookies!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Congrats Ned! Yup....Don is a nice and generous guy! I have some mini-hollowing tools from Don that I mean to get handled shortly.
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Looks like Don's got a nice shop indeed, and is making some very nice stuff with it.

And regarding the Abyss and your proximity...you want it Ned. You know you do. Come to the dark side...we have cookies!
    ahh, but I have so much flatwork I really need to finish up... like the shop, the doors, the...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Congrats Ned! Yup....Don is a nice and generous guy! I have some mini-hollowing tools from Don that I mean to get handled shortly.
    I didn't get a photo of it last night, but yes indeed he is both nice and generous, I have a hefty slab of well traveled 8/4 mahagony to make something out of when I get my shop built. It originally came from the now defunct Marcellus Casket company which was in Syracuse. When it closed down, a gent Don knows bought the remaining wood stock and eventually it wound up in my car through Don.
    -Ned

Very Nice Visit !

Ned, You are too kind ! Thanks for posting all the photos. I just don't seem to make the time to put any up myself so I appreciate it. I had a very nice time as well.

If you don't already know, Ned is a great guy, funny, interesting, easy to be around. When he got to the house it was like I had known him for a long time. Next time we can stick to soda and actually do some turning! I'm sure I can find some wood around here somewhere.

For those of you who did not get the "Thanks Dad" part of my shop, my father passed away several years ago and left me enough money to have a workshop built, so every time I walk in I get to say "Thanks Dad!".
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    Ned, You are too kind ! Thanks for posting all the photos. I just don't seem to make the time to put any up myself so I appreciate it. I had a very nice time as well.

If you don't already know, Ned is a great guy, funny, interesting, easy to be around. When he got to the house it was like I had known him for a long time. Next time we can stick to soda and actually do some turning! I'm sure I can find some wood around here somewhere.

For those of you who did not get the "Thanks Dad" part of my shop, my father passed away several years ago and left me enough money to have a workshop built, so every time I walk in I get to say "Thanks Dad!".
    My pleasure Don, and do you really think there might be some wood to turn? I dunno, might have to go looking for some more just to be certain.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Come to the dark side...we have cookies!
    Great quote, but you need a Darth Vader icon to really make it sing...
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood