Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amazing New Tool "Ci1 Easy Rougher"

Amazing New Tool "Ci1 Easy Rougher"

Some of you may have seen this tool elsewhere, I just got mine, and boy am I impressed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ci1_easy_rougher01.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	21289 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ci1_easy_rougher02.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	21290 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ci1_easy_rougher03.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	21291
    Here is what I got, the main tool is a solid chunk of steel, the fit and finish is top drawer, and I also got 3 inserts, the square insert, and a 2" radius insert and two 4" radius inserts, a spare screw, and the right sized allen wrench.

You can see all about this amazing tool here.........

>> Easywoodtools.com <<

The guy behind this great new tool is Craig Jackson, you can see his YouTube Videos >> HERE <<

Name:	Ci1_easy_rougher04.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	21292
    I've made a handle for it, using a >> Hosaluk insert << so I can use this for other tools as well.........

I tried it out on a bit of maple in spindle turning mode, and boy does it work well, but I can't wait to try it out on some of the hard knotty Keyaki (Elm) I have here

There is a good ongoing review at Woodturner's Resource >> HERE <<

and Craig got it into Craft Supplies USA >> HERE << but I notice they are all sold out right now

I'll keep you updated
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 06-11-2008 at 10:14 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, thanks for the review! Do you know if there are any sources besides CraftsSuppliesUSA? While checking out the Youtube link, I saw a couple of your videos. I plan on going back and watching them all when time permits. You make it look easy! Well done! Barry

Barry you can go right to Craigs web site to order the easy rougher. I have been using mine on mesquite, pine, pepper tree, doing HF, end grain lidded boxes, roughing. Just love it, even done 7 or 8 bowls with it. No sharpening, easy to tell when you need to rotate the cutting head. The only problem I had was cleaning the pitch out of the screw that holds the cutter. Once I grabbed the blade cleaner it cleared right out.
    Always like learning something new!

Stu,

That looks great! I thought Randy sold a tool that held carbide inserts as well? Maybe I can find something to fit on mine...

Thanks,

Bill

Well I had a go on a wet bowl blank, and all I can say is this is one amazing tool

I could stall my DVR at will, but it was not scary at all, no handle going up and hitting me in the chin or anything like that.

The blank I used was some of the Shinoki haul I just got, wet stuff, and this tool just destroyed it, I can see how with a larger lathe, one with more horse power, this would easily slice and dice up anything that came near it.

Still, even though I could easily stall the DVR by being over aggressive, this tool makes easy work of most anything, and boy does it make a MESS

Name:	Ci!_easy_rougher_ist_01.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	21301 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ci!_easy_rougher_ist_02.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	21302

Name:	Ci!_easy_rougher_ist_03.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	21303
    and here is the tool with the handle I made.

One other thing, this Shinoki MUST be related to Oak, it turned anything steel BLACK in moments, I and to clean up really well around the lathe, I even had RUST forming on my Oneway live center

I took a bunch of video, but it is too late to start crunching it right now.

More later, I'm really impressed with this tool, but I have to say, wear coveralls, I was COVERED from head to toe in wood fiber, and as I was commentating on the video, I used my chainsaw, MESH face shield, NOT a good idea, next time the Triton Power respirator WILL be used
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Looks cool, Stu. I like the radiused edges on the "square" inserts. I've got a couple similar carbide tools (one square and one round) from another maker. (I removed the golf club grips and use them in a Monster handle instead. I'm thinking of putting the golf grips back on them, just so I don't have to swap out whatever else is in the Monster handle at the time.) I haven't really tried using them for roughing, but I will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    ...I thought Randy sold a tool that held carbide inserts as well? Maybe I can find something to fit on mine...
    He does, but it's smaller and shaped differently. It fits into the various Monster hollowing tools.

I've been working with these and they're very versatile little cutters, although they tend to operate a bit differently than other cutters I've used. I've also been playing around with a prototype bar from Randy that allows the cutter to be used with a handle. I'll post a new thread about it soon.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Stu I have gone to wearing gloves when using my easy rougher. It peels wood off so fast it hurts. You can make chips real fast....Craig did a great job on this tool can't wait until he releases his next circle cutter and one other....Bruce
    Always like learning something new!

Yep Bruce, I saw that Craig wears a glove in his videos, I'll be wearing one too, the next time I use this tool.

I too cannot wait for the Ci0 and the CiJr

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,

I have had mine for about a month and it is amazing! Mine is dull and I need to sharpen it. Is there something I need to know or do I sharpen it like any other tool?
    "Small Change got rained on with his own 38"

Tom Waits

hey Pete, I guess you have turned the insert to use all four sides eh?

The easiest thing to do would be to contract Craig and get some new inserts, I think they are something like $14 each

I too wonder if you can sharpen these inserts, I would bet that you would have to use a Diamond stone.

I think you could just sharpen it on the flat, just rub the flat top of the insert on the stone, face down?

I guess we should ask Craig
    William Arthur Ward