Amazing New Tool "Ci1 Easy Rougher"

Interested to see how those carbide tips work Stuart, have tried several configurations here with other tips and get little more than a glorified scraper effect, albeit a long lasting one.

There are one or two UK forum members with them and may get to try one in the not too distant future.

OK, I had a great conversation via a Skype call to Craig today, great chatting with you Craig!

On Craig's suggestions, I have modified the handle of my Ci1 Easy Rougher..........

I have to say, Craig, you were right, this is much more comfortable to use. The bumps, make push points, so you don't have to grip the handle so hard.

I did two 10" rough outs in about an hour, speedy for me :)

That makes seven blanks roughed out, all but one with the hard tool dulling Keyaki wood, and now, I guess I'll think about rotating the cutter to use a fresh side :D

I found that by following Craig's advice, I was able to take much better cuts, I guess more time on the tool helps too. I now seldom stall the lathe

The video that I put up was the second blank that I'd roughed out, so I was really green there (pun intended ;) ) but I'm getting better at using this tool with each go.

Cheers!

Stu,

Thanks for all the information and update on the new tool!

One question: Which cutters do you suggest ordering extras of with the initial tool purchase? Is there one type you prefer over the other two?

Thanks again!
John

Hi John!

Depends on what you are going to do, I'd say the R4 (4" radius) cutter is the most versatile, and then, if you do smaller stuff, the R2 (2" radius) lastly the square cutter. I think the R4 comes with the tool, and that is the one that I foresee myself using the most.

Cheers!

PS get the "Deflector Shield" ............ TRUST me on this :D :wave:

twelve_bowls_done04.jpg
Here are the twelve bowls I've completed with the tool so far. After about 6 bowls, I turned the insert to the #2 side, but it cut just as well on the #1 side, so I turned it back to #1, thus, 11 bowls done with one side of the insert, so far!

I have to agree with Stu I like the 4" radius cutter the best. Stu on my handle I made a large ball at the end, it takes a very light grip, thumb and one finger, and push with the palm of the hand. I do have bad arthritis in the hands so its much easier for me to grip large handles, mine are extra long also. I use the same handles on all my Thompson gouges also.

Just dropped by to say THANK YOU ALL for the discussion you have going here. I fail to check it as often as I should, I guess, but I am open for all questions and you can always get me at craig@easywoodtools.com for answers.
Mainly, just please understand there are no tricks to this tool. It is just a dead sharp carbide insert designed from the ground up for wood cutting. I am a master machinist by day and can assure you metal working carbide will NOT cut wood to any satisfaction.

Also most people ask why not a round cutter? Well after you use the tool for a bit it becomes clear but for a quick explination -just imagine if this 9/16" square carbide insert were round then it would be imediately evident that your depth of cut would be limited to only half the cutter diminsion and then the cut would be coming back around the radius- which will not work so good. With the square cutter you get twice the material removal plus the benifit of cutting square inside corners when desired.

Welcome aboard, Craig. Always nice to see the toolmakers join the discussions. :wave:
...Mainly, just please understand there are no tricks to this tool. It is just a dead sharp carbide insert designed from the ground up for wood cutting. I am a master machinist by day and can assure you metal working carbide will NOT cut wood to any satisfaction...
This statement confirms some of my suspicions about the carbide 'scrapers' I mentioned earlier in this thread. I was roughing out a maple bowl a few nights ago, so I figured I'd try the square carbide tool for the roughing, as I've seen the Ci1 do. It worked, and left a smooth cut, but it was not nearly as fast or aggressive as the videos I've seen of the Ci1. I suspect mine is a metalworking bit being used on wood. I also suspect I'll save up some lunch money and order a Ci1 one of these days. ;)

...I also suspect I'll save up some lunch money and order a Ci1 one of these days. ;)
Turns out I had a bit of an unexpected "tip" added to a payment mailed to me for a knife I made, so I went ahead and ordered the Ci1, an extra 2" radius cutter, and the Lexan shield. Looking forward to seeing what all the excitement is about. :)

I'll bet you a steak dinner that you will be smiling like an idiot after a few minutes using the Ci1 tool it just works, and on green wood, it is really an "Easy Rougher" :thumb:

This looks like a super new tool, but (besides the carbide cutter) how is it different than a heavy scraper like the Sorby 1 inch wide 1/2 inch thick bowl scraper?

145701_230.jpg

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5160&productid=145701

It is way sharper than you can get any HSS scraper, you can slice your finger open on the cutting edge of the Ci1, and it holds a sharp edge for a VERY long time. Also the cutting angle on the tool us such that is it not self feeding, like many tool that cut very aggressively.

Cheers!