Photo Gallery Opinion Wanted

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've been playing around with different ways to display photos on my website. I'd appreciate it if you'd check this one out and let me know what you think. You can right-click on the page and go full screen mode to see larger pics. Also, you can turn each pic over to read the description. (For now, the descriptions are real brief.)

Let me know if you like this, of if I should keep looking for other styles.

Vaughn, that is hot!

Wow, that is a terrific and dynamic, interactive way to display your pictures. I enjoyed and liked that a lot. Only thing I see missing is that when you flip the picture to see the wood no sizes are given. I am not sure how important that is to you.

But the display is really special. I like that a lot.:thumb::thumb:

Thanks Mike. This is sort of a quick test gallery. When I do the final version, I figure the backside of each pic will have the dimensions, the price, and any other story I want to go along with the piece. Between bowls, hollow forms, platters, and a variety of smaller things, I'm looking at having multiple galleries. I figure I'll play with this one and get the kinks ironed out before I set all the "real" galleries up.

Just for kicks, here's the same gallery, with a lighter background. I feel like an eye doctor doing an exam...Better "A" or better "B"? :p

Thanks again. :wave:

It's cute, but I think I'd prefer to be able to see the picture at the same time I'm reading the caption. Especially for anything with a long/detailed caption where I might want to refer back to the photo.

Very cool - response was slow in full screen mode. Although it was fun, might take a little getting used to as a navigation tool. It does have a 'cutting edge' kind of feel so it suits you. :D

I haven't been able to see it yet as it requires macromedia flash player.

I perceive this as some sort of drawback, my concern is Who will be willing to take the time to download macromedia flash player, install it and then start viewing your pics?

I'm going to do it because you're my friend, but I doubt I'd do it if I was surfing on the net searching for "wooden bowls" or something like that. Most problably I'd just skip to the next page.:dunno:

Maybe there in US all pc's have it installed by default but definitely not here.

Tonight, once I had seen the pics I'll add more comments.

My two cents.

At first I didn't like it...to much movement...but it grew on me. I like the lighter background better as well. Unique to say the least.

I found the constant movement a bit disconcerting, like Frank said, made me feel a bit sea sick. IMHO, techie-types will probably think it's cool. Grumpy old farts like me will probably find it anoying.

I don't like the way the display tilts and swivels when you move the mouse around. It makes it hard to see the pictures and naviagate. I do like the fly-in and the other aspects of the display.

I agree that it would be nice to see the words at the same time as viewing the picture.

Also it would be nice if "full screen" meant that the one picture selected was "full screen", and not that the screen just went "full screen". And by "full screen" I mean just go to the one picture selected and not to the operating system "full screen" function.

Mike

Last edited:
As a grumpy old fart I liked it all and think it is a very cool way to display your work. I like the interaction the viewer has and the 3-D effect achieved by the way the thumbnails pitch and roll holds my attention.

It doesn't hurt that your work is terrific.

I liked the darker background better by the way but somewhere between the dark background and where it is now would be my preference. How about something in teal? Wood pictures show up well on teal my color expert wife says.....

Last edited:
I have mixed emotions about it. If I were trying to sell my work, I think it is a great way to go. The buyer could see photo, kind of wood, size, price, etc. with ease. However, if I were posting at FWW or trying to read a post and see a photo of the technique, tool, etc. being used I find it to be slow and awkward.

I have mixed emotions about it. If I were trying to sell my work, I think it is a great way to go. The buyer could see photo, kind of wood, size, price, etc. with ease. However, if I were posting at FWW or trying to read a post and see a photo of the technique, tool, etc. being used I find it to be slow and awkward.

Good point. One must ask what you are trying to sell. Fancy web site or the turnings.

I liked it. I enjoyed the freshness of the method of displaying so much better than a static 5 to a page in a column with description. Cutting edge. I personally liked the dark background also.

So, gotta ask. How?

Doug

Vaughn....I may be changing my mind. I went to full screen and then because it was there...I clicked on the words in the bottom right of my screen, Tilt Viewer, and it locked up. I had to dump my net connection...just for the record, I'm using Firefox.

And, of course I found the Tilt Viewer info as soon as I right clicked.

Pretty cool if this is not a bug, just something with my system.

Doug

Vaughn,
The work is excellent. But I don't like the format. I am in the old fart demographic though. What others have said about the movement of the images being disconcerting holds for me. It is very unique and does stand out. I think you're right to look for a presentation format that is striking and unique. But your turning can speak for itself.

Just my .005 gallon. [2 cents]

Thanks for all the comments, guys. :wave: As much as I like the flash and "gee whiz" factor of the tilting stuff, I tend to agree that it might not be appropriate for trying to sell things. (For one, you can't look at a pic straight on without having the mouse cursor in the middle of it.)

I want something that's a little more exciting than just scrolling through pics, but not so fancy that it distracts from the items in the pics. Whatever method I use for the photo gallery, I plan to have prices, sizes, and any other 'story' that might go along with each piece. I'd also like to have some type of 'Buy Now' buttons for anything that's for sale.

I'll try a few other formats as time permits and survey to get your opinions again.