Passing the time (more cutting boards)

Art Mulder

These are quick and fun to build. And they make handy presents. I like to keep at least one on hand. Last month we gave away the last one we had, and I knew I'd need one more soon. So on a Sunday afternoon a couple weeks ago I got started on these.

This is a fun project for when you want to build something NOW -- as in, start it and maybe even finish it (mostly) the same day.

(this is where Stu or Ken pop in and tell me to take up turning to get the same satisfaction all the time.)

jun08-cuttingbds-mid.jpg

The one set is Red Oak and Walnut scraps. The other is Maple with strips of walnut, yellowheart, and I think redheart. (the board has been sitting in the shop for 2 years, so I forget.) Finished with LVT salad bowl finish (wax+BLO)

The smallest one actually started as an offcut -- it's only 7 x 9-1/2 x 5/8. I haven't decided yet if it is usable as perhaps a small cheese tray, or if I'll just keep it for scrap or experimenting. I haven't finished it yet.

...art
ps: And since I started these I've already found a destination for two of them, so I'm back to only having one "spare" on hand.
(not counting the offcut)

Nice stuff, Art. Those will be very appreciated gifts. The stripe pattern on the maple ones looks a bit familiar. ;)

Very nice Art!

I need to finish the cabinets I"ve got started in my shop and then do some turning! This flatwork and painting is getting tiresome.