making tapered columns?

Steve Ash

I have a customer who would like to have tapered wooden (cedar) columns made for their porch.

Just wrapping the 4x4 post will suffice, but the tapered ones would be a nice touch.

Now I know there is lots of tapering jigs to make table legs.....but these columms will be larger than a table leg.

Approx height 7"

The existing support 4x4's needs to be wrapped with cedar with the taper starting out about 8" at the bottom and tapering thence to the top.

I don't want to freehand cut it with a circular saw and turn the tapers to rustic tapers.

Anybody done this?...know how to do this?...pictures of finished product?

I know the theory sounds easy, but being it is lots larger than a table leg, how do I do it?

As always....Thanks!

Steve,

What are you going to wrap the 4x4's with.....say 8/4 material?

Could you make a tapering sled for your thickness planer? Then, run them 1 by 1 through the planar?

'Twould be a simple project for a 114" EZ setup! Right, Mark?

Actually, for this taper you could use an 8 or 9 foor straightedge - like an off-rip from a sheet of plywood - as a saw fence. Just clamp it in place and cut your tapers. Two of the pieces will be an inch and a half (assuming ¾" stock) wider than the others, to account for the overlapping, but other than that it'll be a relatively simple task. (The EZ would make it even easier, though...:rolleyes: )

My $.02:

I think Jim's idea of making a long sled for the table saw is the ticket. It seems to me a router wouldn't work due to the compound angle. And, at least with my circular saw, it's very hard to accurately set much of an angle.

Is this something like you were thinking Steve?

View attachment 21361

View attachment 21362

I think that is along the lines my customer wanted.

I have a 1/4" x 2" x 8' aluminum straightedge I could use as a guide for my circular saw and a good blade.

I have a Delta Unisaw and a huge outfeed table, ( shown here)
P1010002.jpg

that I would have more than enough room to run the stock through (4/4 cedar)....but the straightedge I have is no $$$$ and available.

I never have written up anything Steve, But yours is the second time this has come up this week. So I guess I need too. Basically I just took some scrap plywood and attached a few blocks to hold the parts in place. I will skip details because I know you can figure it out.

But I just figured my taper(slope) and measure up 3' and over 1" or what ever it was. Laid out some lines and attached some blocks to hold the part. Make the first cut.

Then the second sled indexes off the cut edge and bottom and you have to double the angle(slope) this time. Once you get the sleds then you can make 4 exactly the same. Just make them as accurate as you can assuming of course your wanting mitered corners.

I am sure with careful layout the straight edge would work, but it would just take a lot of time laying each one out.

I made two sets. Outside set Greg posted, then I made maple sets for the interior.

diningroom2.jpg

'Twould be a simple project for a 114" EZ setup! Right, Mark?

Actually, for this taper you could use an 8 or 9 foor straightedge - like an off-rip from a sheet of plywood - as a saw fence. Just clamp it in place and cut your tapers. Two of the pieces will be an inch and a half (assuming ¾" stock) wider than the others, to account for the overlapping, but other than that it'll be a relatively simple task. (The EZ would make it even easier, though...:rolleyes: )

Yes, this job clearly requires the purchase of an EZ Smart system and a Makita (or other favorite brand, but I think Makita is the cheapest) 16" (yes, sixteen inch) circular saw. This way you can just taper the 4 by 4s in one shot and not mess around with joinery. :thumb:

the cabionet would be holdin yur ole planes and such not some civil war dishes:) must be the other half wont let you have all the house:rofl:

We have a very simple rule. I get the most important part of the house, the Basement and my office. She doesn't store her stuff down there. I think I get the better end of the deal! :D

Besides, the planes are handier in my jointers bench. ;)