Power Converters .......???

Stuart Ablett

I'm hoping someone can help me out here, I'm looking for a transformer to output 220V 60Hz at 15 Amps.

As I live in Japan, I have 100V 50Hz, 200V 50Hz, or 3-phase 200V 50Hz available.

I want to run my US Spec DVR 3000 lathe on the 220V setting, it will give me a boost in power.

Anyone know of a shop online that sells such a thing?

Cheers!

I'm not sure, I have a second e-mail in to Teknatool after the only sort of answered my original e-mail.

This is the answer I got from them........

Dear Mr Ablett:

Thanks for contacting us.

Actually all our DVR lathe is capable to run under 220 voltage by
removing a jumper on the control board. Please find the instruction in
attachment. Running DVR XP under 220v can increase its power to 2HP.

If your DVR 3000 has software version 4.4 or onwards, your lathe will be
able to preset speed without upgrading.

The new DVR XP control board is also available and is only limited to
availability of the control boards. For trading up to the latest
software from one of the early controllers will cost you around USD $300
plus freight. This has you swap over the control boards.

Please feel free to contact me again, should you require any assistance
with this matter.

Yours sincerely

He also attached >> this file << on changing the DVR to 220V (a PDF File) which is just a matter of removing a jumper.

I know that the DVR is a bit sensitive to varying voltages, I think that Alex had trouble with his, because his area was experiencing brown outs during the summer.

I DON'T want to fry anything. :eek:

Cheers!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

"Dear Mr Ablett:

Thanks for contacting us.

Actually all our DVR lathe is capable to run under 220 voltage by
removing a jumper on the control board. Please find the instruction in
attachment. Running DVR XP under 220v can increase its power to 2HP.

If your DVR 3000 has software version 4.4 or onwards, your lathe will be
able to preset speed without upgrading.

The new DVR XP control board is also available and is only limited to
availability of the control boards. For trading up to the latest
software from one of the early controllers will cost you around USD $300
plus freight. This has you swap over the control boards.

Please feel free to contact me again, should you require any assistance
with this matter.

Yours sincerely"

Incoming....!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, you definitely don't want to fry the control board...or the motor for that matter. Best wait for them to get back, and make sure they understand the 60/50Hz situation.

Wait a minute....are you running 110VAC 60hz now? (through a converter)

I just checked, and New Zealand uses 230/240 at 50hz, so they should be well aware of what your needs are.

Yeah, you definitely don't want to fry the control board...or the motor for that matter. Best wait for them to get back, and make sure they understand the 60/50Hz situation.

Wait a minute....are you running 110VAC 60hz now? (through a converter)

I just checked, and New Zealand uses 230/240 at 50hz, so they should be well aware of what your needs are.

Yes, that is right, I'm using a step up converter, to 110V 60 Hz.

NZ may use 230V 50 Hz but I wonder what China uses, as the customer service guy, who is doing a good job, is named "Fan Huang" from "TEKNATOOL INTERNATIONAL GROUP" so they might not be aware of my Japan power situation.

Cheers!

What kinda converter?

I will be surprised to see anything that can change 100V 50Hz - to - 110V 60Hz that does not cost a lot.

If it is a rather simple electronic device I would bet it gives a very poor sine wave as output.

Take a look at most UPS people put on their computers with a scope. You might think twice prior to using that power on anything expensive.

Stu,

Any word back from Teknatool?

I'm not sure how the control varies the speed for your motor, but any crazy way you could continue to use the 110C, 60Hz for your control circuits, LED etc, and replace the motor with a 2hp 200v, 50hz unit and use your house power for the motor alone? The control circuit might not like, or be able to "speed control" the 50hz to the motor while using 60hz itself, though. :huh: :dunno: Like I say...crazy idea....:rolleyes:

Nothing back from Teknatool.

I don't want to start messing with the guts of the machine, I think that is not needed, all I need is a simple step up transformer, from 200V 50/Hz to 220V 60Hz, or, for that matter from 3-phase 200V to single phase 220V :dunno:

Just got to find one..... :doh:

Found this.........

Look >> HERE <<

simple_transformer.jpg
(this one is a 500W unit, they have them in 1000W and 1500W too)

:dunno:

I'm using a very similar thing right now, to boost me from 100V to 120V, dunno about the cycles, I'll have to check that :huh:

Cheers!

Oh yeah, one more thing, if I'm running 120V 1500W right now, if it goes to 220V would the watts required stay the same, or be halved? :huh:

Watts will be the same...current halved, voltage doubled.... +/- zero change.

That transformer would be good for 5 100W 120VAC light bulbs. I would just buy 100V lamps and save your money. :eek: (jk)...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don't know what "50/60Hz" means. Will it be 50 or 60? Will the wrong one fry your motor or control board?
'course, you know me and elektriks. I can't change flashlight batteries so I worry a lot and call the experts when I need something.

The 50/60 Hz thing usually means there is a switch on it for whichever one you have/want, but I'll have to check into it.

In Japan, we have 100V, but half the country is 50Hz and the other half is 60Hz, go figure :rolleyes:

:wave:

Stu,

The 50/60hz indication means the transformer will work at either one, no switch. 50 in...50 out. 60 in...60 out. Most modern electronics are like that. Check some of your appliances, DVD player, TV...camcorder battery charger. I bet they are all marked... 50/60Hz. Your appliances will work in Osaka just as well as in Tokyo, no switch. Your lathe might even be marked that way too...you just need to check. It might affect the speed control, you need to check. Are you running it right now on just a booster transformer...no other electronic circuitry?

Also, note the English chart for the NDF-1500E you show in your post shows 100VAC input, 220VAC out. BUT...the Japanese version, when you click on the blue link, shows 100VAC output for 220VAC input!!!! :eek: Just the opposite! :huh:

View attachment 21465

You need to be sure of which one is correct. :dunno: They might be switchable, like the one in the pic before, but again...check, 'cause the data doesn't show that.

Last edited:
I think, this is an up/down transformer, so if you put in 220V and want 100V it does that, if you put in 100V and want 220V it does that too, but yes, I will be checking it out completely before I buy it.

Right now I'm just using a straight booster, >> THIS ONE << or one very much like it, 15 Amps, and a Todd Co. unit from the US, got it from a buddy when he moved back to the US.

If that's all you're using, then you are running on 50Hz now. In that case, getting a similar 100VAC in/220VAC out transformer (50/60Hz), with the proper output wattage rating, should do the trick. Don't forget to pull the jumper in your lathe control card for 220V operation...:eek: :thumb:

Hope you hear from Teknatool soon, though.

Stu,

A simple transformer will not change the frequency from 50hz to 60hz unless they have changed transformers recently. To actually change frequency, you are going to need some type of converter. It will have to change the 50Hz ac to dc....feed some type of oscillator and the oscillator will output 60 hz. Anything along this lines with enough power to power your lathe...it's gonna be spendy. This similar to what the eletronics on everybody's PM3520B does. It takes single phase 220 vac / 60 hz. The electronics converts it to 3 phase. The controller feeds 3 phase AC to the motor. In this case they are taking 1 phase converting it to 3 phase. In your case, you'd want something to covert 200 v /50hz to 220 /60 hz. The right transformer could handle the voltage change but it will do nothing for the frequency....you'd stil have 50 hz.

Last edited: