Accessory for a router.

Ok. guys here is the question:

I've this router that works very well with several accesorys, but the support it has to attach it to a table and transform it into a router table hasn't got the possibility of depth adjusting from the top of the table, making it very, very cumbersome and unprecise.

I've checked Virutex web page and they do not have such accesory, so my question is.

Do you know any support that would fit on it so I could build a router table with it?

The only I've found is the one I'm showing from Bosch but its diameter is 3 and 1/2" while the diameter of the router motor is 3.2 inches.(81.41mm).

Do you know of any support that would fit on it?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• routert001.jpg
    routert001.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 59
  • r00929v5.jpg
    r00929v5.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 25
  • routert002.jpg
    routert002.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 33
rare duck??

well toni the only source that i could reccommend is wood pecker lifts but after lookin at your router it appears to made quite differntly than most. the large handle may cause troble gettin one of ours to work.. but look at wood peckers and possibly it can.. but i think you are looking at making a lift for it.

here is the link toni http://www.woodpeck.com/

I'm with Larry. The Uni-Lift is probably as close as I could get. It mounts where your stock router plate would mount and uses the existing base. From the pics it could be a problem with the handle on yours. I would email Woodpeckers as they have been extremely helpful to me on specific measurement questions in the past.

I know it costs money but.... In the long run and in the amount of frustration it might be well worth the difference. Buy a router that will fit a good lift kit. then have on deticated only to the router table and keep the other for freehand work. I've got 4 routers and I am sure most guys have at least 2. One for the table and one for freehand.

I know it costs money but.... In the long run and in the amount of frustration it might be well worth the difference. Buy a router that will fit a good lift kit. then have on deticated only to the router table and keep the other for freehand work. I've got 4 routers and I am sure most guys have at least 2. One for the table and one for freehand.

I agree... I hate having to tell people the solution is to spend more money or buy more tools, I figure they would have already done that if they could. But I wouldn't want to use the same router for both my router table as well as my free hand stuff... I wouldn't have the patience to take it on and off every time. Also, in my case, most of the stuff I do free hand I don't need a big 3HP router which my router table does when I'm doing large picture frames or moulding. For free hand I grab a smaller lighter 1 3/4 hp PC.

Toni:

I'd recommend getting a router with decent above table adjustments also. I don't know what the tool market in España is, but my PC8529 is adjustable from above the table through a Rousseau phenolic insert. I believe the Freud and Triton plunge routers also have this feature. You are more likely to find this feature in a plunge router than a fixed base.

I just bought my 2nd router recently and it is really nice having two! I really think it will be cheaper getting an above table adjustable router (typically can be found on sale for ~$100 US here - not sure for you though) than buying a lift. Most lifts that I have seen start at ~$200 US. If you can find a plunge / fixed base combo set that has above table height adjustment for the plunge base might be best - leave the plunge base in the table usually and then you also have an extra fixed base router to play with. One thing about above table adjustable routers - it is important to have good dust collection while using the router, otherwise the above table adjustment port will get filled up with sawdust and woodchips. Usually this will happen immediately after clamping down the phenolic insert for a critically sensitive cut. :eek: :doh:

Good luck whatever you do!

I really think it will be cheaper getting an above table adjustable router (typically can be found on sale for ~$100 US here - not sure for you though) than buying a lift. Most lifts that I have seen start at ~$200 US.

Just curious so I checked; one of us could ship a 15lb router to Toni for about $300 not including the router. Yikes!!!

Larry, Glenn, Bill , Dave, Mark.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I'm afraid to say that the idea of buying another router was on the back of my mind but I was reluctant to look at it because I do not know wether I will use it (enough) or not.

Of course, if I have it I will be happy of having it when the need pops up, and I will tell to myself " It is good I bought it".

Glenn wrote:
"Just curious so I checked; one of us could ship a 15lb router to Toni for about $300 not including the router. Yikes!!! "

Glenn I guess that when you say "15Lb router" you're referring to a router table or lift without the router, otherwise I understand it is a joke sending over a router without the router, no? :)

Actually the idea is not bad, I could look for a router of a model that is sold here and there and then get the lift from US. I'll have to make some research on prices here and make my mind up.

Mark's idea is even better, the only problem would be the voltage here we use single phase 220V / 50Hz and I do not know if you can get power tools of that voltage there.

Mark, when you say "an above table adjustable router" are you referring to a plunge router that has that feature included in the plunge base? or a proper dedicated table router ?

Just to show you I include some pics of the accesories I have, they all came with the router.

Last two pics show the fixed base and plate I use when I want to use it a a table router, the height is adjusted by means of that threaded ring that is held captibe by three black pieces, once the desired depth is achieved the router is fixed securely by the threaded rod with handle.
Doing this kneeling on the floor and stand up and kneel again for about 4 or five times each time I need to adjust it is very annoying.

I don't know if I could fix the three legged fixed base without the plate to a lift.

Attachments

• acct006.jpg
    acct006.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 2
  • acct005.jpg
    acct005.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 9
  • acct004.jpg
    acct004.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 3
  • acct003.jpg
    acct003.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 3
  • acct002.jpg
    acct002.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 3
  • acct001.jpg
    acct001.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 4
once again toni does it!

he tells us why his country is differnt than ours, running 220 in router is not the norm here at all. and i for one wouldnt have even thought of that.. sounds like your back to your own country for tools toni..:eek:,, but like the rest have said the use of a dedicated router for the table will prove invaluble.. and the plunge types adapt well to table use. as well as having top adjustment.

Yes and no Larry, a step down converter is NOT that expensive :D

And think of the possibilities it would open for other purchases ;):thumb:

The US, and most of the EU is also on the 220 power, as well as Australia and New Zealand, I think.

Cheers!

Not only is Toni on 22V, but he is 50 Hz instead of the 60 Hz of the US. Freud makes routers for the European market. In fact someone at a different forum mentioned getting an 8 mm collet instead of the 1/4" and 1/2" that he should have.

As for exactly what I mean, it was quicker for me to go upstairs and take a picture of my setup (I'm using a PC 8529, which may or may not be available to Toni, but the idea is the same).

above.table.adjustment.jpg

The only problem is that I forgot to change my camera from English to Spanish before taking the picture. :huh: :doh: :rofl: (jokings!)

Not only is Toni on 22V, but he is 50 Hz instead of the 60 Hz of the US. Freud makes routers for the European market. In fact someone at a different forum mentioned getting an 8 mm collet instead of the 1/4" and 1/2" that he should have.

As for exactly what I mean, it was quicker for me to go upstairs and take a picture of my setup (I'm using a PC 8529, which may or may not be available to Toni, but the idea is the same).

View attachment 21404

The only problem is that I forgot to change my camera from English to Spanish before taking the picture. :huh: :doh: :rofl: (jokings!)

Well Mark, you lost a 200 volts on the conversion, 22V is good for a flashlight or a low consumtion bulb!:rofl::rofl:

And if you had a multilingual camera like mine you shouldn't bother to switch between different laguages:D:D:rofl:

Jokes apart, thanks for taking the time of taking and posting the pic.

Last edited: