Three Cored Sets

Mark Pruitt

For right at a year I have been putting a McNaughton coring system to use. With practice I have become more comfortable with the tool as I learn its (and my) capabilities and limitations. Here are three sets I recently finished. All are Cherry.

The smallest set is 6.5" and 4", BLO finish.
DSC_0189edit.jpg

Two footed bowls, 7" and 4", buffed DO finish.
DSC_0183edit.jpg

My favorite of the three sets, two more fotted bowls, 9.5" and 6.5", buffed DO finish.
DSC_0221edit2.jpg

Looking at the difference in sizes of each set it is obvious that I under-shot the coring knife. With a more aggressive (deeper) aim, I could have obtained an extra bowl from at least two sets. But I'd rather err on the "cautious" side than risk cutting through the large bowl in a set. There has definitely been a learning curve to this tool.

Great work for sure, nice to see an extra bowl instead of more curlies :D

I'm looking at the Oneway Easy Core set up, kind of a chunk of change, but more bowls, less waste is good......... no?

Cheers!

Mark - nice work on all of the bowls! Love the color and you did great on the photos! Not to buck the system but I like the first set the best. To me the form is perfect! Very nice!

I am having a devil of a time learning how to use that thing. I have ever purchased 2 dvds.
Pete, I watched Bill Grumbine's chapter on Coring in his second DVD and while I tend to core at a far slower speed than Bill, his comments about how to set up the tool have been invaluable to me. I thought about buying the "official" DVD for the tool but decided against it.

I learned quickly to use a steady to prevent catches from becoming launches. Also, I have started keeping an air blow gun close by, and blowing out the shavings when it begins clogging (rather than backing the knife out which only increses the risk of a catch).

While I've had several catches, I did have one "catch from hell" which scared me almost to the point of considering giving up coring. It was that bad of a catch.:eek::eek: The whole reason I slowed down the RPMs was to reduce the violence of catches. I have a long way to go in learning about this tool.

One part of the process that makes it worth it for me is the moment when I hear a "pop" and see the core come bouncing out. There's just something really cool about that, when a game of core-the-bowl turns into a game of dodge-the-bowl....and you meant for it to be so.;)

I'm looking at the Oneway Easy Core set up, kind of a chunk of change, but more bowls, less waste is good......... no?
Stu, I carefully considered the three main coring systems on the market, read reviews, watched demo videos, solicited opinions, etc etc etc. The Oneway vs. the McNaughton boils down to whether you are content with your core being the same identical profile every single time (Oneway), or do you want the option of aiming the coring knife at various angles for deeper vessels or shallower pieces like platters (McNaughton).

I've never used the OW Easy-Core, but what I find attractive about it is that the risk of accidentally cutting through the big piece is far less--virtually zero--with the OW system. Personally, I felt comfortable with the "higher risk-greater versatility" option. But each system has its following! The important thing is, do your homework before you buy.

...........Stu, I carefully considered the three main coring systems on the market, read reviews, watched demo videos, solicited opinions, etc etc etc. The Oneway vs. the McNaughton boils down to whether you are content with your core being the same identical profile every single time (Oneway), or do you want the option of aiming the coring knife at various angles for deeper vessels or shallower pieces like platters (McNaughton).

I've never used the OW Easy-Core, but what I find attractive about it is that the risk of accidentally cutting through the big piece is far less--virtually zero--with the OW system. Personally, I felt comfortable with the "higher risk-greater versatility" option. But each system has its following! The important thing is, do your homework before you buy.

Mark, I was not aware of this consideration, thanks for bringing it up, I'll have to do some more research..... :huh:

Mark, I was not aware of this consideration, thanks for bringing it up, I'll have to do some more research..... :huh:
I came to the same conclusion as Mark did, Stu. The McNaughton will be the one I order, for the same reasons. Just need to get the tool fund pumped up a little more.