Tennis Wall Help!

Pete Jordan

My 3 sons are becoming interested in tennis and I would like to build a tennis wall. I would like to use 3 4x8 sheets of plywood but I don't know where to go from there. I need to know how to make them foldable to go over the second door of my garage. I could either hang them or attach them to the garage. Any suggestions would help!

thanks,

Pete

Attachments

• Garage.jpg
    Garage.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 57
Hi Pete :wave:,​
Sounds like a real worthwhile endeavor.:thumb:
At the places I'm familiar with the backboard is 3/4" ply, which immediately makes me think 3 sheet, folded are too heavy to deal with safely. Maybe some type of quick connect to the adjoining piece, throw bolt?/, gate hardware? with loose pin hinge? mounted on plates so you can use longer screw/lags:dunno:. Standing them up securely is another problem. Brainstorm with the boys, that way they can help and experience the planning, manufacture and evolution of "their own wall". Does that seem possible?
Shaz :)

Thanks for the input Robert!
I have found this while searching so I think I might lean in this direction. I will probably not make it foldable and just wheel it into the carport when not in use.

Attachments

• 3models.jpg
    3models.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 41
  • fold_lg.jpg
    fold_lg.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 53
nice driveway and garage, bigger than the size of my entire home property.
Id build a 4x4 frame for base,3/8th lag screws to hold together, only a 4 foot sqare wide base for center board, attach a 2x4 frame to back of center board, some diagonal supports attach to base.(plum that center board perfect)
Id make the base around 4 feet square, on 3-4 inch heavy duty locking casters, attach the 2 side boards with heavy hinges, attaching the hinges first to 3/4 very oversized plates, then attach the plates to the back of the plywood walls. The 2 sides could fold in, and you could just push it to the side when not in use. (I have a tiny property, so everything is on wheels)
only an amateur suggesting this.
paint it, measue out a white line for the net height, youd be done in half a day.

Hi Pete :wave:,
Nice thinking and a good find. :thumb: Allen was being helpful with his thoughts. Way to go Allen!
Good luck , Happy Father's Day!
P.S. Hey Pete, Did one of the boys give you that "shiner"?
It's a beaut! :thumb::D

Last edited:
Hey Pete, Like I said that's a Beaut!:rofl:
Hopefully no long time damage to the eye. I guess you could be a pirate!:dunno::D
Kidding aside, that is an experience worth sharing here. I am sure you were not expecting it and that is when so many accidents happen. Never know, your depiction of what happened could save someone a worse fate:eek:.
Just a thought.
Take care and let me know if I can help some way.

a few years back, I had 2 sheets of ply painted white, I put them on two seperate sleds I made with a circular saw, a hammer and a box of nails.Id slide them together and it would be my outdoor movie screen. I was thinking something along those lines.

I'd use plywood, if the MDF gets wet :eek:

Plywood is stronger and should last longer too, so when the kids are done with the tennis wall, you can unscrew the plywood from the frame you make and use it for something else :thumb:

Yes, I'd just screw a frame onto the back of each piece of plywood and then use carriage bolts to attach each framed 4x8 sheet to each other, this way you will end up with a 12' wide by 8' tall wall, or a 24' wide 4' tall wall........... using three sheets......

How big does this thing need to be?

Maybe just two sheets would do, 4' tall by 16' wide? :dunno:

It is not MDF, it is MDO which is what they use to make signs. I don't know much about it but a friend recommended it to me.

As far as size, my kids are pretty wild so I think I will need 3 sheets.

4 foot high is way too low, everyone should be taught to hit the ball at least 3 feet over the net when they begin, or someone can ask a pro.
I took lessons for years.
I had about 3 feet in front of each piece and in back, with side brackets going from top to base, and it seemed to hold, but I wasnt hitting anything against it, but I dont think a tennis ball could offer much instability.
(brace each side, with a brace cut at 45degrees, Im sure it will be more than stable.(this is the kind of stuff I like to build)