Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening a Chainsaw Chain

Sharpening a Chainsaw Chain

Does anyone use a sharpening jig or do you go freehand? If you use a sharpening jig - which one do you use?

Lee Valley has two -- the Deluxe seems kinda complicated, lots of settings
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...072,43086&ap=1
    HF sells what looks like the same one and has online instructions.

The economy seems somewhat simple -- but does it do the job? http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...072,43086&ap=1

I'm just looking to touch up between professional grindings, what I've been reading suggests 5 touch ups then bring it in to someone who knows what they are doing !!

Tony, BCE '75

Professional wood cutters around here sharpen with a file in the field.
    The rest of us take ours to a shop.

Tony the LV deluxe one works good, but I'd buy it from www.baileysonline.com they have one of the best selections of chainsaw related stuff you could ever want, their prices are good and the service is top drawer.

I think you will find the >> Granberg File Guide << they sell looks a LOT like the LV unit, but it is only $26.95

Don't forget to get this tool as well, the >> FileMate << you need it to file the rakers, and you can use it for hand filing the chain on site.

What I do is file the chains in the workshop with the guided tool, then, I just use the filemate on site and hand file, unless I hit a rock or something, then, I'll dig out the guided set up.

Remember, chainsaw round and flat files are not the same as any old run of the mill round and flat files, they are different.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Tony,

I use the jig and files from Oregon Chain.

http://www.oregonchain.com/pdf/acces...eningTools.pdf

Here's a European web site for you:

http://www.oregonchain.be/

I've been really happy with their products.

I just hand it to my husband. There are some things I just don't want to do. We bought an electric sharpener from Northern Hydraulics that has served for about 7 years now. It does a fine job.
    Barbara

I asked for and got the Dremel attachment for Christmas of '06. It works better than I expected. And it certainly is cheap enough, if you already have a Dremel that is. I use the jig with a cordless unit. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Tony,

When I was Stihl dealer we sharpened customers chains with a powered grinder for economic reasons. But when I'm hand filing for myself I use this sort of a guide and have been using it for over 30 years with good results:

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/acc_grindfiles.html

It's pretty much all manual, but the guide gives you an angle line to follow and keeps the file from going too deep in the tooth. The only other thing you would need is the raker gauge and flat file.

PS: wash the chain clean in gas or solvent before filing, then take your time with the filing.

cheers eh?

One of the reasons we bought a sharpener is that the local Stihl/Husky dealer burned the dickens out of the chains.
    Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Gill View Post
    One of the reasons we bought a sharpener is that the local Stihl/Husky dealer burned the dickens out of the chains.
    Yup... I believe you...I've seen it myself on chains brought to me by new customers.

There's a lot of dealers out there who think that competing on price is the way to run a business and they'd be charging $7 or $8 to sharpen a chain because they thought they could keep their customers by being cheaper. We charged twice what the other dealers did. We did half as much work as they did, made the same money they did, and had time to do the job correctly.

cheers

Tony what do you mean complicated???? The first sentence says easy to use and well calibrated. Just kidding Tony. I have that one and it is easy to use plus does a great job. I also agree with Stu and get the filemate. I bought cheap to begin with and it isn't worth it especially when you get out to cut tree when you are in the woods and the saw won't cut.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.