Parks Planer

Matt Meiser

I ended up dragging another old machine home today. I found this on Craigslist about two weeks ago. Due to work, a weekend of camping, an extended power failure, and several days out of town for work this past week, I didn't get a chance to go look until this weekend. I was surprised to learn it was still available when I contacted the seller this weekend. The seller didn't seem to know a whole lot about it but since it wasn't too far, I went to take a look. I ended up paying $275 including a motor and an Allen Bradley manual starter that had been used with it before. Everything moves freely and the feel rollers turn when the cutter head is spun. The knives are even in good shape. I do plan to do a full teardown before putting it to use.

The story that came with it is that the guy I bought it from bought it about 5 years ago from a retired gentleman who had made glass crates for Libbey-Owens-Ford glass company in Toledo. When he bought it it was in the guys basement on an old wood stand. Supposedly he was the original owner and bought it in the 70's. I'm not sure I believe that date due to the brass tag that reads "Sold By The Freeman Supply Company Toledo, Ohio" which looks a lot more than 35-ish years old. The serial number is illegible if it was ever there to start with.

The motor is the largest 1HP motor I've ever seen. It was made by the King-Wyse company in Archbold, Ohio. The only thing I found on King Wyse is that they made agriculture equipment--and that there was a King who married a Wyse in Archbold and had a number of children. I haven't fired up the motor but it supposedly worked 5 years ago.

DSCF2470.jpg

DSCF2471.jpg

DSCF2474.jpg

DSCF2473.jpg

I'm sure when you get it all cleaned up, and set up, you will be on happy camper. It is not a "portable" or "Benchtop" unit, but I'll bet it will outlast most everything on the market today.

You should get a lot of good work out of that unit, nice find! :thumb:

The price you paid seems a bit risky for an old timer like that, especially when you haven't seen it in action. If it works, you will have a solid production machine there.
BTW, I had to look a the first picture for a while to figure out exactly what I was looking at. The reflection confusulates things a bit.

I've seen a few of them within driving distance (well, what I would have considered driving distance in days gone by) all in the $500-up range.

They are actually pretty simple machines. Based on what I read, basically if you can spin the cutter head, engage the transmission, and the feed rollers turn, they are good. That and checking the castings for cracks. Mine passed those tests. The motor is the risky part. I'm planning to power it up at lunch today--keeping my fingers crossed.

Fired up the motor this morning before work--it runs great. In fact, it is one of the quietest motors I've heard. Probably because of the sheer mass! All I'll probably do to the motor is clean it with electrical cleaner and repaint. I don't really want to risk taking it apart to "restore" it.

Congrats, Matt. Those are little workhorse planers. From what I've seen, you did get a good price indeed.

I've got a co-worker who's been telling me for over 2 years he's got a 12" Parks planer (in pieces) he wants to sell me (or trade for woodworking service). Turns out he's moving out of the state, so I don't know what the status is on that deal. Currently, I have absolutely no space for it, and really don't have much need for it. I only use my little Delta lunchbox planer about 3 or 4 times a year. Can't see that I'd use the Parks much more than that. Plus, I'm not really interested in reassembling one that's delivered in a bucket.

The price you paid seems a bit risky for an old timer like that, ......

Actually I think that is a good price. I dare say matt could double his money easy, probably triple it by parting that machine out. Lots of Parks around and lots of people needing bits and pieces.

A little tid-bit I read somewhere. Don't know this for a fact but I have read that Sears sold these under their name for a few years.

Actually I think that is a good price. I dare say matt could double his money easy, probably triple it by parting that machine out. Lots of Parks around and lots of people needing bits and pieces.

A little tid-bit I read somewhere. Don't know this for a fact but I have read that Sears sold these under their name for a few years.

OK, I lay KAYOED and corrected. :rolleyes: Wadda I know about old arn?

OK, I lay KAYOED and corrected. :rolleyes: Wadda I know about old arn?

Sorry Frank, didn't mean to do that. Just a lucky punch. :rofl:

Seriously, I wouldn't expect many to realize that. But often times the more common older machines are worth more as parts then as restored running machines. Lot of people with them and need a part or two. Sort of like hand planes.

Something like my Jointer that there are just a few off left around, it's probably not the case. Not enough demand.

A little update, as I've been working on my jointer so I haven't done anything with the planer yet. But I did cruise around the OWWM site and found an article on dating these. I also found that the serial number is not normally on the tag in the spot for the serial number, but rather stamped on one of the castings. Based on a number of details that were changed over the years, this was made roughly between 1948 and 1957. Since it is SN 3119, I think probably towards the early years.

Park's Planer

Nice planer. I really like mine. I gave $250 for mine and it had a 1 hp Craftsman motor and single pulleys. I found a new Leeson 2 hp motor and bought the correct size dual pulleys and belts so now my outlay is just under $500. These work a lot better with a 3 hp motor. I'm still looking for one. With the 2 hp my Park's still planes one inch roughsawn white oak in 3 passes down to 3/4" without a hiccup. Good planers and they're built like a tank. BTW, Park's did build for Sears. The only difference is the badges.