Happy Father's Day to me! Toyl haul.

Ned Bulken

The LOML and I went on a getaway this weekend, and we stopped at the Reading Outlet Maul on Saturday, where they had a Black and Decker Outlet. I broke my favorite B&D 18V drill awhile back, it still turns, only in reverse (the selector switch is shot). It didn't owe me much, but the LOML picked it up a few years back for me. The batteries still hold a good charge, so I decided to stop in and see about a replacement 18V to go with my Ryobi kit, after all one can never have too many drills, right?
So this went in the truck:

18vnew.jpg

refurb unit with charger and two batteries. Yep there are three batteries in the photo, had to make sure my old ones fit. Nice thing, they upgraded from the slippery plastic to a serious knurled aluminum chuck.

Today we stopped at the Allentown Woodcraft for their Father's day 15% off bag sale. Anything you can fit in a shopping bag, excluding power tools, festool, etc...

I dropped a bit more than I thought when the LOML encouraged me to get the K3 kit vs the Kreg rocket and a separate clamp. SO I went over my 'budget' a bit. (Budget, HA!)

k3.jpg

I picked up a pen Mandrel and some CA Glue, plus some solvent for the same. A package of exotic pen blanks and a couple of sets of bushings for what I expect I'll be turning, cigar pens and euro-style.

turningstuff.jpg

penstuff.jpg

and last but not least I threw in an Incra 6" Rule.

kregincrarule.jpg

goodies.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! :thumb:

I got a couple of cards (this is especially nice...kids started doing this on their own), my daughter baked me a chocolate chip cake (my favorite), and got to go buy doors for the basement ($550 worth). All in all it was an awesome day.

Normally the kids and Lori find something for me, this time she was with me for the two shoppipng episodes, and in fact it's her fault i have the K3, I was going for a rocket and a separate clamp, she suggested the K3 to 'save money'. :huh:

($79 vs $39 + $25. plus I get the basic module instead of the narrower version. before the sale of course)

I also got a load of new 'work' clothes khakis and so on, which I have to wear while I'm on the road.

Have I missed something? Ned, do you have a lathe? :eek: When did you fall in....? :dunno:

All in all, a great haul...... :thumb: :rofl::rofl:

I picked up a pen Mandrel and some CA Glue, plus some solvent for the same. A package of exotic pen blanks and a couple of sets of bushings for what I expect I'll be turning, cigar pens and euro-style.

turningstuff.jpg

Have I missed something? Ned, do you have a lathe? :eek: When did you fall in....? :dunno:

All in all, a great haul...... :thumb: :rofl::rofl:

Ummmmm yup, you missed it. mostly cause it went to my storage unit back in March, and then up to Grizzz's shop the next day.
Standing on the edge of the Abyss

hey, I just re-read that thread, and look what I found...

post 16

I got it when I picked up the bandsaw, got both of them for not much more than either of them cost new.

Congrats Ned! I just used my PSI Kreg knock off kit and it works like a charm!

John Shaffner, my mentor had the rocket kit, and I built this using it:
P1010001.jpg
I've already got a load of appropriate screws etc. from our local fastener supply house. I expect that I'll be using it a LOT when I get around to working on the kitchen cabinets I have on the agenda 'someday'

Last edited:
Congrats Ned!

The Kreg systems were the biggest seller on Saturday when I worked at the Woodsmith Store....after gift cards. I also found out they are made just 20 miles north of me in Huxley, IA!

Wow Ned - your a trooper!

I decided against making the 120 mile round trip to Allentown Woodcraft because it would cost $13.00 in gas. I'd have to spend $100 to break even on the trip.

You made the Syracuse / Reading / Allentown round robin.

I attempted a trip to Force Machinery on Rt 22 in Union on Saturday. By the time I got there after stopping in Lowes they were closed!

Cheers

Jim

Wow Ned - your a trooper!

I decided against making the 120 mile round trip to Allentown Woodcraft because it would cost $13.00 in gas. I'd have to spend $100 to break even on the trip.

You made the Syracuse / Reading / Allentown round robin.

I attempted a trip to Force Machinery on Rt 22 in Union on Saturday. By the time I got there after stopping in Lowes they were closed!

Cheers

Jim

well, the hotel I was already staying in was only 12 miles round trip... so it was a no brainer. Trust me, I'd have hit rochester before allentown otherwise.