Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Car buying fun . . .

New Car buying fun . . .

Hello:

I was in the market for a new fuel efficient car. My 2000 VW Passat had 140,000 miles and was making some expensive sounding rattles when hitting expansion joints and such.

I went to several different dealerships explaining that I currently had a 29 mpg highway car and was looking to get as good highway mpg as possible. I also wanted 4 doors with a trunk.

I found the Toyota Yaris sedan which is EPA estimated at 36 mpg with a 5 speed transmission. The issue was trying to find a dealer who was willing to get me a car.

The dealers kept trying to move me into a 32 mpg Scion. My pointing out of the 10 - 12% difference between the Yaris and the Scion highway mpg fell on deaf ears. They apparently have a lot of Scion's and can't get Yaris' - especially in a 5 speed.

It was sort of unreal - I wanted to buy a car and they weren't really interested in selling it to me. Eventually I got a deal cut and the car was delivered yesterday. I like the car but I hope it lasts as long as the VW - I hate buying cars.

I got a chuckle today - I heard a radio add where a Toyota Dealer was leasing Camry's at the Corolla monthly lease rate. They can get Camry's and Corolla's get 35 mpg (much better than a Camry), so they are in high demand.

Cheers

Jim

I was surprised that dealers wouldn't deal with me at all on the 1 year old Ford Focus I just bought my wife. Same reason--they are a 35MPG car. Prices increased almost $1000 on average from when I first started looking at them 6 weeks ago until I actually bought 2 weeks ago. At one dealer the salesman wouldn't budge at ALL on his price. I got the deal I offered to buy from him at another dealer, but he doesn't know that and he's never called back to try again--I suspect he didn't need to in order to sell the car.

Since my dad is a Ford retiree, I usually buy a new car instead of like-new because the price difference is usually so small it isn't worth it. But again, on the new Focuses (Foci?) the A/Z plan discount is small and there are virtually no rebates on them--and I see them everywhere on the road.

If you think that's bad, I just put a $500 deposit down on a new Prius. I ended up paying nearly MSRP too. Now, all I have to do is wait for 60 -120 days they estimate it will take to get the model I want in stock before I get my new car.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyon View Post
    If you think that's bad, I just put a $500 deposit down on a new Prius. I ended up paying nearly MSRP too. Now, all I have to do is wait for 60 -120 days they estimate it will take to get the model I want in stock before I get my new car.
    About two years ago, the Prius could be negotiated. But, for the most part, since they came out it has been sticker price. Take or leave. My son has one and is a big believer. He is practically a constant on the Prius discussion forum. They also have the Toyota hybrid SUV which I have driver. Most of the time, completely silent. That is weird, takes getting used to.

The Interest Rate board at the Toyota Dealer said it all:

Yaris 5.9%
    Corolla 5.9%
    Prius 5.9%

4Runner 0%
    Tundra 0%
    Tacoma 0%
    Sequioa 0%

Buy a gas guzzler - we'll give you a break.
    Buy a more efficient vehicle - no break.

Jim

It's that old supply and demand thing again, huh? I noticed today a used car lot I pass every day to and from work was full of pickup trucks and SUVs. Looks like a lot of people are shopping for mileage cars these days.

Congrats on the new car, though. Pics?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Before you sign with the manufacturer's financing, check out some credit unions. We got 4.4% on a 2007. No, I that's not a typo--4.4%. The salesman's jaw about hit the floor.

"It's that old supply and demand thing again, huh? I noticed today a used car lot I pass every day to and from work was full of pickup trucks and SUVs. Looks like a lot of people are shopping for mileage cars these days."

Gee, this is like deja-vu all over again. Only in the 70's SUVs and pickups were big sedans and muscle cars.

We ran the numbers on our cars, and found it's cheaper to keep them. Moving from a 21/30 mpg sedan (paid for) to something getting 36 mpg had a really long payback. ( We put around 9-10K on it a year)

With that said - I hope both cars hold together a while longer - I don't look forward to Jim's recent experience!

As Vaughn said - congrats and pictures!

Wes

Like Matt, we shopped around and found that our credit union would give us a 4.5% interest rate - much better then anything the Toyota dealership could do.

I recall seeing a calculation done a few years ago that determined that the "pay-off" period on the Prius was something like 4 1/2 years. Obviously, this must be dependent upon a certain number of vehicle miles driven. Well, with the price of gas nearly doubling in the last 12 months or so, it seems like this time frame must have gone down considerably.

Regardless, for personal reasons, my wife and I decided that this would be the perfect commuter car and we're glad to make this change.
    Last edited by Peter Lyon; 06-17-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Like Jim, I hate buying cars on a lot. My last few cars I have bought from fleet dealers. Skip the car salesmen and all their baloney. Tell them the model, color etc., agree on a price, give them a few weeks and you got your car. Another bennie if the fleet folks work out of a main dealer, there finance folks can help; the Honda Loan matched and then beat by half a percent, my pre-approved credit union loan.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke