Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strange truck malady

strange truck malady

My Sonoma's wipers are malfunctioning in a strange way. When on intermittent, they're erratic; instead of wipe, wait, wait, wipe, it is wipe, wait, wipe wipe, wait, wipe wipe wipe, wait, and so on up to 9 wipes, then it goes back to wipe, wait, for a couple of cycles, then it increases again, but not at the same interval. Argh, think I need a new control module for it. it still does steady or 'full' wiping fine, and full tilt wiping, same thing, only on intermittent is it getting strange.
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 06-16-2008 at 02:58 AM.
    -Ned

Sounds like your transmognifier is out of phase

It sucks tracking down that kind of gremlin, most often, replacing the control unit is the only thing you can do

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I'm hoping for a quick replaceable module, vs gutting the dashboard to get it replaced.
    -Ned

Grew up here in south Ms...the "Pinebelt"

wiper malady

I don't think you will have to tear out the dash Ned. The steering wheel will more than likely suffice. Those units / motors usually come as an assembly which includes blinker + emergency flasher. Admittedly I've been out of the parts biz for some time and have little to no knowledge of the Sonomas. I did replace one of these assemblies by myself once, however, on a Nissan truck. If memory serves me right it was in stock at the dealer and < $100. Fairly sure it will have to come from a dealer. Oh yeah, I also recall it was < 2 hour job. Hope this helps, good luck. Ken Johnson

Thanks Ken, I'll live with it for a couple of weeks no doubt, considering how little the truck is used. I have a company car and that sees action daily, whereas my truck might go pick up lumber or whatnot a couple of times a month.
    -Ned

I did one on a Ranger and it was about a 30 minute job. I was able to get the part at an auto parts store for about $60.

Sounds like a relay - check at Advance sometime. Sure we could figure out how to put it in. Or just live with no intermittent wiping.

Anyone else remember the day, heaven forbid, that we did not have intermitten wipers...even the two speed was a huge advancement!

Or worse yet, the old vacuum operated wipers...faster you drove, faster your wipers worked, to a point!

Of course, I was a lucky teen and had the type you leaned out and manually operated on my first car...

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Jones View Post
    Anyone else remember the day, heaven forbid, that we did not have intermitten wipers...even the two speed was a huge advancement!

Or worse yet, the old vacuum operated wipers...faster you drove, faster your wipers worked, to a point!

Of course, I was a lucky teen and had the type you leaned out and manually operated on my first car...

Doug
    Yes, and we are so spoiled nowadays that the minimal incovenience is a tragedy. And we complain about our sons, maybe we should start looking at ourselves first...
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I can live with them as is, I thought someone might get a kick out of how they're malfunctioning.

leaning out the window to work the wipers, I've done that to clear ice off of the blades, but not to operate them to begin with. glad that I'm able to 'enjoy' my truck.
    -Ned