My 2nd Attempt at Turning a Bowl

Sean Wright

Here is my second attempt at bowl turning, since getting my lathe at Christmas. It is figured maple with a mineral oil finish (food safe!). The blank was 8" x 8" x 3". I worked on this over the course of 2 days, for a total of around 8-9 hours combined.

This bowl was my Father's Day present to my Dad.

What's the deal with the Sharpie? I put in in the picture for perspective.
When I did my first bowl, I showed alot of people the pictures. Then when I showed them the actual bowl, they were disappointed that it wasn't as big as they thought it would be.

Attachments

• 2ndBowl01.jpg
    2ndBowl01.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 2ndBowl02.jpg
    2ndBowl02.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 2ndBowl03.jpg
    2ndBowl03.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 2ndBowl04.jpg
    2ndBowl04.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 45
Nicely done Sean, I'm sure you dad will be pleased, make sure your sign and date it.

The bottom of the bowl, it looks kind of like a lid to a box or something, not much of a foot on it, does this affect the way the bowl sits?

Just curious, as the bottom has a very nice clean look to it.

Again, great job, keep them coming! :thumb:

Sean, very nice second try, and also a nice father day gift.
Is the bottom totally flat, or a little bit concave?
Nice work Sean!!
Ad:thumb:

Sean, very Well Done! That wood has tons of figure in it. Great gift, I'm sure he will love it.

Since my dad turns as well, my mom has said "no bowls for gifts" as they have tables and shelfs full of them. I gave him a cherry log instead!

Sean
Very nice bowl Sean,and even nicer since it is your second try.You did a swell job and should be proud of a job well done. BTW that little one sitting by you with the huge smile is proud of you too. Mitch

Great Job Sean!

I'm not a turner but I can appreciate well done jobs. The use of a pen as scale indicator is very good, it gives us a better idea of the size, pics without size references are usually misleading.

Looking forward for the next one.

Well done Sean !! There are many of us out here (especially me) who wish our second, third, or even eighth attempt was as good as your second. I especially like the wood. The grain is beautiful!

cheers eh?

Thank you to everyone for your kind words and compliments.:wave:

The wood was a Figured Maple blank about 8in by 8in by 3in. I picked it up at Rocker for about $26. The finish is mineral oil, to make it food safe.

Nicely done Sean, I'm sure you dad will be pleased, make sure your sign and date it.

The bottom of the bowl, it looks kind of like a lid to a box or something, not much of a foot on it, does this affect the way the bowl sits?

Just curious, as the bottom has a very nice clean look to it.

Again, great job, keep them coming! :thumb:

Stu, Thanks for the compliments! The bottom doesn't have a foot at all. It is just a flat bottom. Suprisingly it doens't affect the way it sits.

Probably a dumb question, but what would I use to sign and date it? Would I do this before putting the oil on, or after?

Sean, very nice second try, and also a nice father day gift.
Is the bottom totally flat, or a little bit concave?
Nice work Sean!!
Ad:thumb:

Ad, Thank you for the the compliment! The bottom is totally flat.

I don't have a chuck for my lathe yet. so I took a piece of pine, and glued it to the bottom of the blank with CA glue. Then I screwed the Jet stock face plate into the pine. When I was done with the bowl, sanding and all, I parted it off from the piece of pine. I then used my ROS on the bottom to flatten it.

Last edited:
thanks for letting us look at your father's day bowl.... very nice!!!! and i liked the fact of the sharpie in the photo because most of the time you can't tell the size of the piece being shared....:wave: