Another plane plus adjusting hammer

After the success with my first plane, that has become my favourite in a record time because it sings like an angel; I went for another one, this time with a 2" blade, the wood is iroko wood but I believe it is sapwood.

I also modified the back of the first one to make it feel better in my hand.

Then I made this adjusting hammer, the head is brass with lignum vitae inserts to avoid damaging or marking either the body or the blade of the plane, I could have used nylon but then I wouldn't have taken the time to make it because that is what I've been using until now. The handle is hard maple.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• hammer003.jpg
    hammer003.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 78
  • hammer005.jpg
    hammer005.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 33
  • hammer006.jpg
    hammer006.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Toni,

I like the looks of your new planes. The hammer is really nice. How did you make the hammer and are the ends of the head recessed to allow the wood a cylinder to slip into?

Great job.

Looks great Toni!

When are you going into production :D :wave:

Well Stu... as soon as there is demand for them and a fair price of course!:D

Toni,

I like the looks of your new planes. The hammer is really nice. How did you make the hammer and are the ends of the head recessed to allow the wood a cylinder to slip into?
Great job.

Hi Lee, thankyou very much, the head was turned on a small metal lathe I have, from a hexagonal rod that had the hole for the handle made first to take advantage of having a flat surface to drill into.

Then, I drilled a recesed hole on each end using the lathe.
Inserted the lignum vitae cylinders that had been turned previously to get a tight fit, gluing them with epoxy glue.

Once dry I turned the whole head on the lathe metal and wood all together, made the handle and inserted it.

Sorry I don't have pics of the process, I might make another one recording the making.

Toni,
Those are fantastic pieces. I've been intrigued by wood bodied planes - just too deep in other projects right now to take the plunge. Did you start from a drawing, or simply figure out the basics and work your way through it?
The hammer looks elegant and practical. How do you like the long handle?
Thanks for sharing,
Paul Hubbman

Toni,
Those are fantastic pieces. I've been intrigued by wood bodied planes - just too deep in other projects right now to take the plunge. Did you start from a drawing, or simply figure out the basics and work your way through it?
The hammer looks elegant and practical. How do you like the long handle?
Thanks for sharing,
Paul Hubbman

Hi Paul.

Thanks for your comments. To answer your questions I should say that my main source of information are the following books: "The art of cabinet making" by James Krenov where there is a chapter that talks about building planes, and "Building and mastering wood planes" by David Finck as well as some articles found here and there on the web.

As far as the long handle of the hammer is concerned, yes it is a bit long but I didn't want to cut it because sometimes I feel like needing that extra swing radius, after all you can grab the hammer at whatever height you prefer.

And it is so long because I made a first one that turned out to be too short once mounted, so I made this one with the idea of cutting it afterwards but after using it, it doesn't bother me at all.