$38 a gallon!!

Jeff Horton

You think Gas is high. Man I got a shock this afternoon. I ran down to the my favorite building supply to pick up some paint and varnish. I am using MinWax Helsman Spar Urethane. They were out of quarts so I grabbed a pint and told Dianne what color I needed for her to mix me.

As I was about to check I looked at the pint and it was $11.49!!! :eek: Or something like that. I said, you made a mistake on this price but she hadn't. I went back and looked and a gallon was $38 and change! Holly Cow!!

Last edited:
Early this year, I bought a Marine Grade Spar Varnish for $110 for a gallon.

Living in Carlyle has its advantages, I can buy really good grade finishes and West System Epoxies from the Sail boat harbor store. Carlyle has the largest man made lake in Il, 26000 acres.

Luckily my buddy paid for it since I am building him an outdoor dining table.

which is finally finished!!! YEA!!!

Joe

I'm wanting to put a protective seal on the roof of my new-to-me camper trailer. The product for this is $63.00 a gallon, plus shipping. And, I need four gallons.

ouch... $250 to seal the roof of a camper... that better be some REALLY good stuff. I used to put Monseys Auto Undercarraige on my camper roof... basically just roofing tar with a little fiberglass mixed through it. Worked great and lasted several years a pop. Was $10 a gal back then... but I've seen the same stuff for around $25 recently.

Bottom paint for my sailboat: $86/qt.

Needed about 1/4 cup to touch up the spots that needed it. It's all coming off this fall with new different stuff going on in the spring. Trying to find someone who'll use what I have left of this stuff.

ouch... $250 to seal the roof of a camper... that better be some REALLY good stuff. I used to put Monseys Auto Undercarraige on my camper roof... basically just roofing tar with a little fiberglass mixed through it. Worked great and lasted several years a pop. Was $10 a gal back then... but I've seen the same stuff for around $25 recently.

Thanks, I'll look into it. Also, I'm going to check out roofing sealer for mobile homes. Might be the same stuff as for campers. RV accessories are often grossly high priced.