Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saw a Cool Car

Saw a Cool Car

I was tagging along in traffic yesterday with one of these:

It's the Maserati Quattroporte. Now I see my fair share of $100,000 and higher cars here in LA, but this one caught my attention. I could hear this one coming up from behind me like a pack of Harley riders. The sound of the engine and quad exhaust on this thing could only be described as a rip-snortin' snarl. We were in 45 to 50 mph traffic, so the guy driving it couldn't open it up, but it was wicked sounding on city streets. It was going through 3 or 4 gears from the stop light to 50 mph or so, and each gear shift was announced with a growling snort and pop like a race car.

I tried taking a pic or two with my cell phone, but it's not a good idea to be snapping pictures while driving, so I got nothing worth posting. Plus, I suspect the Russian Mafia-looking guy driving it might not have appreciated being the star of my show.

So, what's the wildest/coolest/bestest car you've ever see on the road? This one's got to be in my Top Five.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Just a week or so ago, I spotted and then was passed by a Lamborghini Gallardo Spider. Gorgeous candy Orange paint with a very cute young lady in the right seat.
    -Ned

I've seen just about everything you can imagine here in Tokyo, but the coolest car, man, that would be hard to say..........

Bugatii Veyron Saw this one parked up, and even standing still, it looks FAST

Yep, and Enzo

There used to be a guy in my area that had a Toyota 2000GT, original owner too.

I'm fairly sure I saw a Zonda once, but I could not get behind it or near it, in traffic to confirm that, it went by at an intersection and I did not see it again..... "Possible Sighting"

McLaren F1, can you imagine one of these in Tokyo Traffic

I'm sure there have been others......
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Honestly, I'm not impressed. I keep asking "Why?". Those things seem pretty wuthless to me. And the loud exhaust is a puzzler. I pay for mufflers that muffle sound and keep the vehicle quiet. They pay a lot extra for mufflers that don't muffle. In the old days, we, younger and stupider types, might just tear out the muffler or put in straight pipes. I think I did that once, for about ten minutes. Why, those fancy little cars, you can't haul hogs or much hay in them. Wuthless. Now, here is a beautiful vehicle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails put.jpg  

Frank, I'd not ever buy one either, even if I could afford one but you know, one of these car nuts could make exactly the same arguments about your guns

The freedom to like what we like is sure great!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I'm bracketed by two of the pricier zip-codes in Orange County, so Ferraris and high-end Porsches are thick on the ground locally. Rarest, probably a Ford GT: a real one, one of the 1966(?) street models, in right-hand drive.

But the lemon-yellow Lamborghini Diablo going through the drive-thru window at Carls Jr was the funniest.
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

Stu, I saw one of the 2000GTs back in the late 60s in Oklahoma City. Funny that Nissan came out with their 240Z right after that. I always thought the Toyota looked better. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Frank, I'd not ever buy one either, even if I could afford one but you know, one of these car nuts could make exactly the same arguments about your guns

The freedom to like what we like is sure great!
    My poor excuse for humor may be too subtle.
    It is in the eye of the beholder.
    I have an in-law who drives expensive cars. Once rode in his $80,000.00 Jaguar. Felt like my butt was dragging on the pavement, absolutely no room for my feet. Completely uncomfortable. But, he fantasizes that people see HIM driving this expensive car. IMHO, that's a sickness. He might be wealthy but he is desperate for what he considers acknowledgement.
    I understand the 'haves' have no better use for their money. Each to his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    So, what's the wildest/coolest/bestest car you've ever see on the road?
    My own are all from 20 years ago.

Coolest Production Sports Car: 1988 -- Hamilton, Ontario. Red Lamborghini in the parking lot of the apartment building where I was then living. Needless to say, they were in the Visitor's parking.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88-lamborghini.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	21568

Wildest ordinary car: 1988 -- San Francisco, Chinatown. I think it was a Datsun. Sorry about the glare. I had more hair then

Name:	88-funnycar.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	21569

Most unique production car: 80-85ish -- Niagara, Ontario. My neighour at the time ran a greenhouse operation that was doing pretty well and he liked cars. This was right when the DeLorean came out. But I guess he didn't like the look of Stainless Steel, as he had his painted a gorgeous bright red. Unfortunately I do not have a photo of it. But maybe it wasn't that unique after all, as when I googled I found a few others.

Name:	red-delorean.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	21570

Now, I do see plenty of Smart cars on the road around here, which would be pretty unusual for all you folks in the US. They also get used as novelty cars by some local companies for advertising. There is one with a big wind-up key on the roof.
    Hmm, google-google-google... Here it is!

Name:	envirolet_smart_car_2_lot.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	21571

And speaking of novelty cars. I also see a red bull modified Mini Cooper around town pretty regularly. (again, google provided this photo)

Name:	redbullcar.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	21572

...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    This was right when the DeLorean came out. But I guess he didn't like the look of Stainless Steel, as he had his painted a gorgeous bright red.
    File that under "making a virtue out of a vice".

Had a conversation about that with a co-worker who was selling his. One of the issues with the DeLorean was that it was almost impossible to get a good match to the machine-brushed factory finish. So any accident that required body work usually resulted in a full-car paint job. And apparently painting the stainless wasn't exactly a fun job either.
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?