Vaughns spray gun... well should be!

Jeff Horton

I just bought this and it looks like it should feel right at home with Vaughns new Air Compressor to me. ;)

spraygun.jpg

This is the (almost) famous Harbor Fright HVLP gun. Just sprayed with it for the first time and the over spray is MUCH less than with my conventional gun. Doesn't seem to put out as much paint but I like it. Just takes some getting used too.

I ended up ordering one like it, but from another source, so mine is blue. :p Still haven't tried is yet, but these cheap import mini HVLP guns got pretty good reviews on the hot rod forums.

I would send it back and get a Purple one. Purple is the color of Royalty. ;)

Per Wikipedia:
The actual color of Tyrian purple, the original color purple from which the name purple is derived, is the color of a dye made from a mollusk that, because of its incredible expense (many times more expensive than gold), in classical antiquity became a symbol of royalty because only the very wealthy could afford it. Therefore, Tyrian purple is also called imperial purple.

I just bought this and it looks like it should feel right at home with Vaughns new Air Compressor to me. ;)

View attachment 21577

This is the (almost) famous Harbor Fright HVLP gun. Just sprayed with it for the first time and the over spray is MUCH less than with my conventional gun. Doesn't seem to put out as much paint but I like it. Just takes some getting used too.

Jeff

What is the sku number of this spray gun?

Thanks, Bart

How much air

Jeff great looking gun, how much (or little ) air can you get away with in using these. Will they work on something like a PC pancake air compressor or do we need a huge one.

No way will a pancake do it. I was concerned about my 20 gallon (?) tanked compressor wouldn't run it. It wasn't rated for enough CFM. Then a big one was dumped in my lap that needed a little work. I wouldn't even try, I suspect you will be looking down you hose saying "Wha happen?"

I have the Porter Cable version of that gun - works well. Regarding the compressor needed, if you take your time, you aren't spraying continuously and the compressor can keep up. I have an old 1HP Craftsman air compressor and my gun works fine on it.

When doing a panel, every time you reach the end, you'll let up on the trigger. Just pause an instant before making the return pass. You'll be almost half on and half off, which cuts your CFM in half. Also, if you're not doing something really big, you can depend on the tank to keep you supplied. When you finish the panel, the compressor will catch up. Note that these guns have a regulator on the gun so if the pressure in your tank falls, it doesn't affect the gun (as long is it doesn't fall below the setting on the gun regulator)

I doubt if a pancake will work, but an "under-rated" compressor will work fine if you're careful.

Mike