Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We had a dog related scare this week.

Between Aledo and Fort Worth, TX

We had a dog related scare this week.

We always said that if Cory (girl in my avitar) ever quit eating, that we'd know she was sick. Well, about 10 days ago she started acting a little off, and went off her food. Glenna (LOML) was out of town from a week ago yesterday to Monday this week for a music convention. She wouldn't eat her normal raw foods, but would eat the rescue dogs dry food. When Glenna got home, she set up an appt for her on Wed.
    They found a mass, thought it was about the size of a grapefruit, on her spleen. Radiologist didn't think it was malignant, but of course, wouldn't know until out and send it off.
    So surgery was yesterday. I couldn't stay, but was up there for an hour. Had to leave about 5 minutes after they took her back. Glenna called me about 40 minutes later in tears. They came and told her it much bigger and more involved than they thought. Multiple nodules on the spleen. Glenna called me back almost 2 hours into the surgery, thinking that it was going well since we had said if it wasn't contained, that we would just put her down. Total surgery was about 2 1/2 hours. The mass ended up being the size of 2 grapefruits and weighed 4 1/2 pounds!!!
    Cory, of course, is really out of it. Hasn't gotten control of her bladder yet. Hope something didn't get cut that shouldn't have and it's jut the pain meds. She has to eat small meals for a while, limited water intake for fear or bloat/torsion because of all the extra room in her stomach cavity. And no jumping around and getting excited. If she starts feeling better, that last one is really going to be tough to control!
    So keep her in your thoughts. At 13 years old, this is probably going to be pretty slow recovery. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 06-20-2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Sorry for yelling in the title. Doing this from work.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Delton, Michigan

hopin for the best

i know the feeling jim hope things come out ok.. it doesnt get any easier the more you do it.. any idea of the cause?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Rio Rancho, NM
    Jim, good thoughts going out for your girl - hope she feels better soon.
    Nancy Laird
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Charlotte, NC
    Jim, I hope Cory pulls through. She's a beautiful dog and obviously a very important part of your life, as are mine! Best wishes!

Waterford, MI
    China and I are crossing our fingers (paws) for Cory.
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Folks get attached to their pets. That is a big reason I don't have a dog. Hope she gets well.

Reno NV
    Congratulations on a successful surgery.

About 3 years ago, I had to help my neighbor carry his dying black lab to his truck due to a ruptured tumor on his spleen.

About 2.5 years, my Lab (Indy) started acting funny. Not eating, not moving, just panting. Rushed him to the vet and sure enough he had a tumor on his spleen. Had to rush him to an emergency vet clinic and they recommend a removal. I think they said his tumor weighed about 9 pounds.

Happy to say it was completely successful and he's been doing well for the last two years. Well, at 13 he's a bit slow, and we think he has a brain tumor. He seems to get confused at times and is having trouble with his hips, but other than that, he's doing well.

We did lose our little girl (Xena) lab to a ruptured spleen last september. By the time we got her to the vet, she had bled out too much. On day she was chasing lizards and rabbits, and the next she was gone.

I don't know what it is about the dogs and spleens, but from if I had a 9-10ish year old lab, I would definitely make sure the doc keeps their eye on it. I had never even heard about this until my neighbors dog died.

I will definitely make sure to keep an eye on it with my new little yellow lab (Starbuck).

Treasure each day with Cory. As much as we get attached to these dogs, I can't imagine not having at least one around to add a little chaos into my life...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Rhode Island
    I will definitely keep her in my prayers. The last one is going to be real hard to achieve.

new york city burbs
    sending alot of good vibes from the east coast.

ABQ NM
    We'll be wishing Cory all the best from over here on the west side. (And you and Glenna, too.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan