Ooops...too much of a good thing!

I have had this wood out for quite some time now, but my sawyer has been so busy he was not able to saw it until yesterday. That's was fine as I was in no real hurry. I really did not need all that much lumber, just some framing material for my dad's new shop. Most of the logs consisted of blow-downs or Fir which are considered inferior wood here (White Fir). I culled them out more from a Forestry Sake then I did for the logs, but making framing lumber from them killed two birds with one stone as the story goes.

Lately I have been having a hard time figuring out how much wood I have in either cords or board feet. I told the sawyer it was about 1200-1500 bf and it ended up being 2480 board feet...nearly twice what I thought I had. Anyway here are a few pictures of yesterdays fun. Just keep in mind that while the last picture does not look impressive, keep in mind the pile of lumber is not stickered so there is more there then what there looks to be.

Broken_Band-small.JPG

Figuring-small.JPG

Long_Log-small.JPG

Framing_Lumber-small.JPG

Fir being put to use

A nice stack of lumber. Glad to see blown down trees not going to waste. Couple of years ago after Katrina I stood and watched (gratefully at the time) a nice man rid me of 3 Sycamores that had stood in my front yard. Was only about six months later that I realized what had slipped through my hands- ie after purchasing a lathe and beginning the hunt for turning material. Still makes me nauseated thinking of all of the timber that went to waste here. Glad you made use of yours. Hopeful to have some pix posted of some of which I speak very soon. Nice work, Ken