New Garage - Shop build

Tom Hoffman

Good Afternoon.

In a couple of weeks, I am going to start at 38X48 garage shop. I am going to use pole barn const.

The wall pose no problem.

However the roof trusses pose a huge problem. I can't use pre manfactured trusses (no access for the semi to deliver) to get a clear span across the entire 38' I am goind to use a 4/12 pitch and will need to make the trusses on site using 2X4 stock lumber.

Now my question for those of you who have done something like this. What would the procedure be for nailing or screwing the web bracing to give me a clear span of 38' I would have to use plywood for the gussets for end to end joining of the shorter 2X stock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom....:D:D:D

Why!!!

why cant you get the trusses delivered to your site? if you can drive to it you can get trusses to it.:dunno:
if you have to make your own, check out metal plates rather than plywood gussets. cut your pieces to fit lay on the plate and nail the holes full. both sides..or you might be able to rent a press to make the prefab plates work.. they have aportable press up in my parts.. where are you located?

Last edited:
Tom, First of all .. CONGRATS!!!!

We expect you to get right behind me and Ned and take forever to post any progress pictures for the rest of us to savor. It's part of the FWW Credo, I believe. :D

As for your trusses. I've only built ONE, count 'em. But I was very very carefully guided by an expert that I greatly respected. He has built dozens of buildings over his life and walked me through the process. My truss only had to span 24' so I don't think my process would fit fully to your needs.

I used osb gussets and lots of glue and nails. I was told nails or staples because they are designed for the shear loads that are involved in holding the guessets together. I'm told that you can find screws that have better shear strength, but I went with nails because they were cheap and easily found (and trusted).

There is a fairly involved formula for calculating the size of the gussets you need to use in a given place on a truss, my friend told me. He took lengths and roof pitch and did some fancy voodoo math and gave me all the sizes I needed. He also told me how to design the web for maximum stiffness.

My original plan was to just duplicate the 3 existing trusses that were already in the shop, but they were built in such a way that only provided "good enough" structure according to my friend. My truss matched almost exactly except that he had me put in what he called a "King post" in the center. This effectively split the thing into two right triangles. I haven't retained all the details, but it's all about triangles and load TRANSFER.

I would try to find a friend who's familliar with truss building for your situation. At the very least they can consult you on the methods you should use for constructing it. :)

No Semi's

To answer the question of no commercial trusses, the road is just to tight and to remote to get a semi in and no way for it to back in or make it around the corners, my pick up with a 12' flat bed trailer can hardly make it with a skid steer on the back.

I wondered about the king post idea. seems to make sense to me. I hope others will chime in.

All contributions (verbal) are welcome and very helpful.

if its that tight!!!!

:eek: how you gonna pour concrete????there big too.. and you surly aint mix it yurself:dunno: the king post is definatly stronger consult a truss engineer and they can draw you up a plan.. depending on where your at the inspector will need to see one anyway..

A concrete truck can make it in. Just not an articulated semi with a 40-50' trailer.

Just think of a wilderness track one way road. Heavy trees on both sides and houses too. Plus at one point you have to go down into a stream bed and up the other side (steep).

Yeah, I guess I will do a consult with a truss engineer.

Lamar, Yes, it is pretty and remote as well. My wife and I are retireing to a cabin on the Waposi-Pinicon River, just north of Independence Iowa. The river was rageing a short while back as most of the other rivers in Eastern Iowa have been recently. Here is a link showing views of the cabin and the flood waters back in April and again early this month.

http://community.webshots.com/user/slvrgost

There are also pictures of my last boat I built and it is the reason for this shop being so big. I just need room to spread out and rip long wood....

Think outside the box

Tom this is just a thought but what about having a truss company design and build the trusses but leave them in two halves folded over. Then transport them on your trailer. At least that way the truss has been properly designed with elements such as snow loading considered. Especially if you have any intention of using any ceiling space for storage or loading the trusses. Surely the truss companies have come up against this type of problem before

I'll be looking forward to watching the shop come together. Sounds like a fun project.

And after looking at the river pics, I can see why you want a boat. :D (Beautiful boat, by the way.)

boy tom!!!

i hope that the cottages shown in the pics wernt yours under water!!! if so i would look for higher ground before building your new shop. and that is one fine boat you have built:thumb::thumb:

Hi Les, Yeah, it seems that the Wapsi-Pinicon is out more than in lately. According to the locals, the worst flood was back in 93' and even then the cabin was still 5' above the flood level. Should be good to go, of course that is until the next 500 year flood next year.

Ted,

Good find....

You would really have to get out your pencil to figure the real cost differences.

What I do like about the socket system was the ability to get away from using trusses. For the building I want to build I would only have to purchase 5 pole sets at $450 ($2250 total). Now I have no idea what trusses would run for a 48 foot building, but $2250 to me doesn't look too bad. I'm probably going to be doing this work by myself, and I don't think I can do trusses by myself. (IMO, I don't think anyone can place trusses by themself without overworking themselves.) With the socketsytem I'll have the use of my tractor for pulling them up and holding them in place while I secure them down.

I am planning (eventually) a Gambrel roof 30x40 or 30x48, depending on if I want 10 or 12 foot on the pole spacing, most likely 12 foot spacing. I can get the 5 sections set with a roof on and tackle the items below one at a time.

1. The shop section will be 30x36 with a wood floor.
2. I want to leave one end for parking the tractor and implement storage along with the lawn tractor and stuff.
3. I want a second floor above the shop portion only, with a hayloft beam extending out on the parking side, for wood storage above the shop. (The system is designed for a certain amount of snow load, since we don't get snow that's not a problem where I am.)
4. I want to come off the side with a 24 x 24 carport that might eventually be a garage, but at least the wife will have covered parking.

Ted

PS: when I contacted the guy (Rodger Parry) over at Socketsystems about a building wider that 30 feet, since they have the 8x8 post holders, for wider buildings I imagine. I was thinking of a 38 foot building originally, before I change the proposed location of the building and 38 foot was too wide, here was his reply.

Ted,
The 8 x 8" hardware is available to engineers and designers who take full responsibility for their structures.
We have no engineering of record for the 8 x 8" hardware, except when the building falls within the 6 x 6"
sealed engineering snow load tables.
Best,
Rodger

Last edited: