Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Been there, done that - Fall Mountain Lookout

Been there, done that - Fall Mountain Lookout

Many of you know I was on the way out for a 3 night stay in a Forest Service lookout tower this past week. Well, we made it back - minus a pint or two of hemoglobin - lots of mosquitoes!

The tower is located about 11 miles south of John Day, OR, then about 6 miles west (road miles, not air) up into the mountains. It sits upon an 18' high timber frame at about 5,300'. There are 30 steep steps to carry up all the gear - including all the water you need for 3 days.

For those of you who are interested, (like Larry) here is a link to the pictures I took while there. You will need to install a "presenter program", but it is both small and safe.

Enjoy! And - as always - your opinions, comments, praise, and criticisms are welcome.
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 06-23-2008 at 02:02 AM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

you should sell those sunset shots to hallmark, those are some nice shots.

Boy was that well done!

Loved the "Moon Rise"

What were the blue flowers at the beginning, they sure where blue!

Looks like you had electricity at this camp, no?

Yep, that would sure recharge the batteries!

Thanks for sharing!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    you should sell those sunset shots to hallmark, those are some nice shots.
    Thanks! The sunrise shot at the beginning, and the sunset at the end, are just two of about 20 I took. Could not resist! They were fantastic.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Boy was that well done!

Loved the "Moon Rise"

What were the blue flowers at the beginning, they sure where blue!

Looks like you had electricity at this camp, no?

Yep, that would sure recharge the batteries!

Thanks for sharing!
    I'll have to do some research on the blue flowers - they're probably some noxious weed!

Yes - we had electricity! And since we were about 100' from the tower, great cell phone service too . Fortunately, most of our friends knew we were "out of range" so didn't even try to reach us . It was nice to keep an eye on the weather reports via the internet/cell phone.

www.wrworkshop.com

Funny story, first time we went to Canada, my wife and I, with my eldest daughter, we went to my uncle Mel's cabin, and we stayed there overnight. My lovely Tokyo born and raised wife could not believe how NOISY it was out in the woods at night, she was looking for some ear plugs

For me, it was a splendid white noise kind of thing, the sound of the wind in the trees, etc was just rocking me to sleep.

How was it up there, I imagine up top of a hill like that, you would get some wind?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Wow, what beautiful pictures Rennie. It looks like it was a very peaceful trip. Thanks for sharing.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Funny story, first time we went to Canada, my wife and I, with my eldest daughter, we went to my uncle Mel's cabin, and we stayed there overnight. My lovely Tokyo born and raised wife could not believe how NOISY it was out in the woods at night, she was looking for some ear plugs

For me, it was a splendid white noise kind of thing, the sound of the wind in the trees, etc was just rocking me to sleep.

How was it up there, I imagine up top of a hill like that, you would get some wind?

Cheers!
    Every night was windy - one was REALLY windy! The tower is at the top of a mountain that sits at the end of a valley - so the wind comes up the valley and compresses, gaining speed, as it approaches the tower. We could hear it, and see it in the trees, but the tower was rock solid.

Your story reminds me of being at my dad's place in upstate NY. In the summer the 'peepers' were so loud at a pond just outside his back door that you could not hold a conversation without yelling!

www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Wow, what beautiful pictures Rennie. It looks like it was a very peaceful trip. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Darren!

www.wrworkshop.com

"What were the blue flowers at the beginning, they sure where blue!"

Hard to tell without seeing the leaves, first thought was shooting stars, but if I had to bet, I'd wager mountain columbine.

Great pics, Rennie. Nice spot to spend a week! We should all be so lucky!

Thanks,

Bill