Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesquite bowl, new photo tent

Mesquite bowl, new photo tent

Here's a mesquite bowl turned recently; 12.5" x 5.5". It was from a 'found by the side of the road' tree. It was an urban landscape tree cut down to accomodate road widening. It is Chilean Mesquite, and as you can see by the growth rings, it was well watered. I styled it after an old crock bowl my mom used when I was a kid, in other words, utilitarian. I mean for this bowl to be used as a bowl, so I left the sides a good 3/8" thick or so.
    This is also my first shot at using a light tent I cobbled together. I wanted to make it so it colasped for storage, so it's 2 square frames conected with dowels. it makes a 32" cube. I threw an old sheet over it, put it under the skylight in our kitchen and was in business. The background is a sheet of light-gray matting.

The light was not quite right though. Need to get a couple of lights to place on the sides. For you that have experience with this, will any lights work? Any suggestions for a cheap solution? Have a great woodworking day! Barry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mesquite1.jpg   mesquite2.jpg   photo tent1.jpg   photo tent2.jpg  

Nice work Barry. And good job on the tent!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Barry - really like your bowl! Great form, size and color! I like the detail ridge just before the rim - nice touch!

Photo tent looks good and obviously works quite well! Photos look natural, good focus and shadow control!
    Steve

Barry, the bowl looks great, and the photo tent looks good too.

I think you want the 6000K lights

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Good looking bowl. I absolutely love Mesquite especially since it can be turned to finish without fear of warping. Good job on that one.
    Cody

Barry, very good looking bowl, good pictures too, so your photo tent works well, side lights work well too.
    Ad

Great looking bowl and pics. I've never worked with mesquite, this wood is not available here.

Keep them coming
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Great job Barry. I like the crockery bowl look. (My grandma had some of the same.)

I've got a large cheapie photo tent that has a flimsy spring frame. I may borrow some of your ideas for stiffening the frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    ...I think you want the 6000K lights

Cheers!
    I'd recommend 5000K to 5500K. That's closer to the range of daylight. Barry, a lot of us are using the screw-in compact fluorescent bulbs. You may have to shop around a bit to find 5000K to 5500K lights, but it's worth the effort.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well, I was close, I looked, mine are 5100K
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very nice bowl, just love mesquite. Great job on the tent....it really shows off your work.
    Always like learning something new!