George Carlin - 1937-2008

Jason Beam

:(

Just plain :(

I had a chance to see him perform and the show got cancelled. I had plans to get tickets again sometime - but too late.

Now I know he's not exactly Family Friendly, so I'll keep my homage to him to myself :)

I first saw him on HBO when I was in grade school at a friends house. My childhood friend and I have quoted him ever since. One of the funniest people ever, IMHO. Very sad indeed.

Very sad indeed.

Yes. And yet, he lived a rich, full life, spoke truth to power, paid dearly for it, and came out the other side. Hard not to admire the life he built, and out of next to nothing. It's pretty hard to stand up in front of people, with nothing but the words you make up. He had his first heart attack in 1978, but kept going.

It's pretty hard not to be sad that his race is run, but there is much to celebrate about his life, and we're all the richer for his works. And he hung around long enough to have the honors flow to him. Did you see what he said when he won the Twain prize?

"``Thank you Mr. Twain,'' Carlin responded. ``Have your people call my people.''" If Dante's right, they're walking around one of the more pleasant circles right now, talking things out. How I'd love to be listening in on *that* conversation! ;)

:bow:

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
He was a brilliant thinker with a clear view of some things in our society. I believe he would have achieved even greater things in life had he not used profane language and illegal substances.

I have a set of "Carson" DVDs here, in some of the really early ones, B&W, still in New York, there is one of Carlin doing his "Hippy Dippy Weatherman" bit, VERY funny, but what was most shocking for me was he had NO BEARD :D :rofl::rofl::rofl:

RIP

"``Thank you Mr. Twain,'' Carlin responded. ``Have your people call my people.''" If Dante's right, they're walking around one of the more pleasant circles right now, talking things out. How I'd love to be listening in on *that* conversation! ;)
Wherever he is, he's probably partying with Kinnison, Jeni, and Pryor. :thumb:

A loss, very sad. I wondered how long his heart would hold out.

I saw Carlin perform at the university about 1980 and still admire his keen wit and insight. He was making fun of everyday stuff way before Seinfeld.

--MJ

Last edited:
Carlin did, indeed, think and see life from outside the box. I found his humor both humorous and enlightening.

Philosoplically speaking, I think we often are more comfortable hanging with those that think like us and do like us. Consequently we make mistakes because no one person can see all the problems with our plans. Having someone like Carlin or say Robin Williams take a subject....and poke fun at it often opens my eyes to how others might view things. I really think the Carlins, the Bill Cosby's, the Robin William's of the world can give a perspective that can change attitudes in a positive manner.

RIP George!

Funny you should mention Seinfeld. He did a remembrance piece today. Here's an excerpt:

"You could certainly say that George downright invented modern American stand-up comedy in many ways. Every comedian does a little George. I couldn’t even count the number of times I’ve been standing around with some comedians and someone talks about some idea for a joke and another comedian would say, “Carlin does it.” I’ve heard it my whole career: “Carlin does it,” “Carlin already did it,” “Carlin did it eight years ago.”

(...)

I know George didn’t believe in heaven or hell. Like death, they were just more comedy premises. And it just makes me even sadder to think that when I reach my own end, whatever tumbling cataclysmic vortex of existence I’m spinning through, in that moment I will still have to think, “Carlin already did it.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/opinion/24seinfeld.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Thanks,

Bill