Surprize!!!!

larry merlau

tonight i was in the shop and had a round over to do so i grabbed a new 1/2" round over bit made by "infinity tools" and stuck it in and tightened it up.. well i thought i did.. anyway i proceded to do my parts and got them done but as it was stopping i thought i saw a quiver in it:huh:.. it stopped, i turned of the router and proceded to take it out. reached for the wrench to loosen it and i could pull it out by hand with out to much trouble:dunno: so i retightneded it or tried to but it wouldnt tighten down.. put in a whiteside and it wouldnt fit went and got he calipers and found out the shaft on the infifnity was .489 and the whiteside was .500 this bit from infinty was given to me threw a raffle but it may have been a second dont know.. but i do know the hitachi collet dint like it.. so its something that we should be aware of next time.. i got lucky:eek:

Hi Larry :wave:,
Important point you mention here! Can't imagine having to check this kind of thing as I don't have calipers to use. Would however know something was up if it would not tighten down. Glad you are okay. Worth a letter or 2 of complaint and notification as that is an accident waiting to happen!

Thanks for the heads up.:thumb:
Shaz :)

Glad it didn't go flying! I think you should definitely send Infinity a letter stating the shank is small! Lots of potential disaster if they won't tighten down!

..a raffle you say.....I think I was at that meeting.

Glad you are okay bozz, got all ten digits and a pair of lookers.:thumb:

Gots all me partds

well almost all of them, lot less hair and a few yrs off my life from worrin i thinki recognize thos folks in yur avatar is that you when ya was yunger???:D

Larry,

Glad you are OK. Its a good thing the bit didn't take flight on you while you were using it.

That has always been one of my woodworking fears, that a bit will come out of the collet in the middle of using the router. :eek:

That is 11/1000 difference in dia. But still the Collet should have made up the difference. (It would seem to me) One piece of Maintainance we (WE) often ignore is cleaning the Collet. Dust and bits of pitch and residue can clog a collet and keep it from closing snuggly around the shaft. We need to clen then regularly, Just as saw blades get a residue or "Tar" built up in the gullets and fillits the spaces in the collet get filled with fine dust and often "pitch" from the wood. This can interfere with proper operation and gripping , some time even rust can form and create a snug feeling eventhough the collet has not really "Squeezed" properly.

All in all other than gnawing up your wood a slipping bit is not all that dangerous to the operator as when it clears the collet and slides out (in worse case) the energy is in a rotating motion and due to physics it will simply drop out and loose force. Wide bit (on the otherhand) have developed some Centrifical force and the wings become flying objects if the seperate from the shaft but the straight shaft is a spinning axis and in such will loose energy as soon as the energy force is removed. It requires a "Flywheel" to keep it spinning. (It must have an energy mass to continue motion) That is not saying that loose bits are not a danger to the operator as well as the work material, as the bit still has some cutting force but not as a flying projectile.

Iffin' it were me, I'd look to that Collet and make sure it is clean and operational. The degree of accuracy in the diameter is of less concern if the collet is clean and ready to correct the differences.