Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My version of Capt Eddies Steel Snake

My version of Capt Eddies Steel Snake

I ran across a article on how to build an elbo type tool. This is my version of that. I have only used it on one HF and it is not finished. I still have to do some fine tuning but I think it is going to work pretty well. Let me know what you think. This is not a hard build but does require some good square drilling. I used bronze bushing for the pivot points. I know that they will not last as long as ball bearings would but my budget is tight. I have about $30 in the project. Since these pics were taken I have added a laser attachment.
    I will get some pics of that and post later. My son Jeff thought I should post this as he posted my captured hollowing rig that I built. The plans that I used are found here. http://www.bayouwoodturners.com/dece...steelsnake.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hollowing_Rig_4th_gen_steel_snake_004 post.jpg   Hollowing_Rig_4th_gen_steel_snake_005 post.jpg  

That looks great, Wayne. I think you'll like that kind of hollower more than the captive "D" handle style.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

OK, added to my list of things to make!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Looks great Wayne! Looking forward to seeing a hollow form a 2 real soon!
    Steve

Very interesting concept. I'll keep this idea in mind. BTW, I like the color of your lathe. But, I don't recognize the tailstock. Watizzit? Have you modified?

Glad you posted the pics Dad! It looks great and I can't wait to try it out next time I'm home.

Frank, he spins a G0462, I don't think he's done any mods to the tailstock other than adding a second power switch for safety and you don't have to reach around the spining wood to turn it off.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Thanks for posting Wayne, will have to add that one to my list as well.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Wayne,

Thanks for posting the pictures. It sure looks like a neat and well thought out setup. I would like to know more about your modifications and what you recommend for someone starting to build one of these. I am starting to gather some of the pieces, but do not have any of the bushings yet. What size do you recommend? I also notice your stock that holds the cutter looks like octagon shaped metal and would like to know about it as well. Your setup using the tail stock looks much simpler than the bed mount. What did you use to attach to your tail stock?

Thanks again for posting the pictures and any information you could provide!!

John

Great job! I especially like how you used the tailstock instead of having to build your own holder. Did you have to modify the square rod to fit?

Wayne, I too would like some more pics and info on how the tailstock set up works, great job!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward