Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: get a bigger house or a smaller hobby

get a bigger house or a smaller hobby

My wife came home for lunch today, and couldnt get in the back door, so she came over to me and said, "I think its time we thought about a bigger home and property or you should think about a smaller hobby. Maybe build those little models you did when you were a kid, cause we are running out of space."

I dont know what she's thinking, I see at least 50 or 60 sq feet over near the fence that I could fit a few more things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tiki 325 (Medium).jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    My wife came home for lunch today, and couldnt get in the back door, so she came over to me and said, "I think its time we thought about a bigger home and property or you should think about a smaller hobby. Maybe build those little models you did when you were a kid, cause we are running out of space."

I dont know what she's thinking, I see at least 50 or 60 sq feet over near the fence that I could fit a few more things.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

house, house house house.
    -Ned

Ive been meaning to paint that entrance door on the garage the same color as the garage..........been thinking about it since 1996, but now that I see it in a photo, well, maybe Ill get to it. Eh, maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    Ive been meaning to paint that entrance door on the garage the same color as the garage..........been thinking about it since 1996, but now that I see it in a photo, well, maybe Ill get to it. Eh, maybe next year.
    Were we separated at birth?
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 06-24-2008 at 07:59 PM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

That's what I say to my wife also.

I have a ww'ing hobby, which means I have an 11x20ish shop in the basement and I would like more space.

My wife sews a fair bit, and that takes another room.

Also, we have 4 kids.

1800 sqft just doesn't seem as roomy as it was 10 yrs ago when we bought it...
    Last edited by Art Mulder; 06-24-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: can't spell.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

She said it, either change your hobby or get a bigger house! Now you're onto big decisions, take your time and plan accordingly, be a little maquiavelic.

Get a house that is a little, just a little bit bigger, or a house that has the same size but looks bigger.
    In any case make sure that the garage is really much bigger or that is has a barn attached to it that can be transformed into a shop in a wink.

Because if you get a bigger house with a garage of the same size you won't have improved and she would complaint about how much household work the new house has brought to her so none of you will be happy with the change.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Thumbs up

toni you sly devil you have been learnin from the rest of us havnt you? or is the real toni startin to emerge?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

You could always go vertical. That table would hold a few chairs at least. And just think what you could do with some industrial shelving, like they use at the Borgs or Costco.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

no more houses up north for me, Im just waiting for my kids to decide where they are going to settle down, maybe help them set up their homes, (fill their backyards with some outdoor furniture ofcourse), then Im heading down south to Florida to enjoy my retirement. I want a 2 bedroom condo near the water, and Ill rent a garage somewhere to keep up the woodworking.