Wedding day pic and my speech

Steve Ash

I started this thread the other day and promised pictures.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9885

The young gal taking the pictures is busy editing them, (you are safe for now Mr. Merlau) but she did send me this one of the bride, groom (oldest son), my wife of nearly 29 years and my ugly mug on the far right. As you can see it was a outdoor wedding and it was a beautiful backdrop for family pictures.

IMG_42791.jpg

The following is the speech I gave as co-best man.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen - I must admit, I am more nervous about being best man than I was as the bridegroom at my own wedding. Maybe it’s because I have been married twenty nine years and I know what my son’s letting himself in for.

I have been given the honor of co best man for Steve and Laceys wedding.....for those who don't know me I am Steve's dad. Not often a best man can say they changed the grooms diapers.

Steve and I have had more than a father/son relationship.....sometimes it is more like best friends. From the time I was first handed Jr. it was a instant attachment. His first words were dada and tractor,not mama.... something his mother never lets him forget.

Jr. has always been at my side, from the time he was little riding in the tractor cab when his mom would bring him out to the fields, to going to the jobsites with me swinging a hammer all day......he was my right hand man, so it is a great honor to be his today.

We always were able to talk about anything out in my shop, where whatever is discussed out there...stayed out there. Often conversation would drift to girls, .....he would say he was never getting married, there was no female who would hold his interest. I told him more than once that someday....some cute little gal would come along and be the "one that would trip his trigger".....he'd be all done, he'd be caught hook, line and sinker.

Well Lacey came along into the picture, and I could sense from the talks we had and the way he felt about her.....this was the one. I can see the change in my son, the responsibilities he has taken on, being a new dad and a new husband.....and the pride he shows in both. What a beautiful family the three of them are.

Lacey, in case you didn't realize it......you made a "Ash" of yourself today.

In closing I'd like to pass on a little advice that was given to me when I was first married......

There will be times you will be mad at each other, but before you lay your head on your pillow to go to sleep at night, no matter how mad you may be at the time.....remember to always say " I love you"....never let a night come, and you go to sleep without saying those words to your spouse.

With that, I'd like to say congratulations to the new Mr. and Mrs. Steven Ash Jr. and
Lacey, we are proud to welcome you into our family!

Congrats and Well Done :thumb:

PS I assume by telling Larry he's safe for now means some interesting photos are coming up??:dunno:

Steve - If you have seen the other wedding thread, I know how much your lines ( which by the way were very nice ) and everything going on that day meant to not just you but your whole family.

Congratulations on a beautiful day and a beautiful family.

Congrats steve for your entire family, great speech, don't think I could hold my composure like you did, buy the way, iffin you need some special photoshoppin for our bud Larry, let me know, I CAN HELP :D

Tom

can you share the secret of how to get them to married and out of the house?
I yell at my wife daily to stop cooking and cleaning for them, she dont listen, they wont leave.

Good looking family, mazeltov.

Great pic, and great speech, Steve. I'm betting you had them laughing and misting up a little, all at the same time. ;)

Steve Jr. looks just like you. It's a real shame he didn't get any of his momma's good looks. :p Lacey looks beautiful BTW, just like most brides do.

Steve......Congrats! A beautiful family photo! I'd say Jr. inheritied the love for beautiful women from his Dad! Great speech Steve. I told you in the email earlier how important those 3 words are! My wife and I haven't seen each other now for going on 3 weeks. One of us calls the other or keeps trying until they are reached.....and the last thing we say before we hang up......I love you! Great advice Dad! Great advice!

Congrats. I sure hope we get some compromising photos of Larry......err some photographic evidence that Larry was there. :rolleyes:

Thanks fellas.

I have been told on countless occasions Jr. does look like me....it is a compliment to me cause I think he is so dang handsome....perhaps a slam to him since I am not so much.

Lacey has so many of the same qualities as my wife does, that it is scary......she is just like another Judy.

I'm not sure if I had anyone laughing or tearing up....I didn't hear anything....just trying to concentrate on saying what needed to be said without a river of tears, cause once that dam breaks....the flooding begins.

As some of you know, we lost our daughter many years ago at a very young age.....it is something that is always in the back of your mind....Well Lacey called me "dad" for the first time on Sunday, and it seemed so nice to hear that.....hard to explain, but seemed so right.

I'm still waiting on some more pics.....and believe me, if she took one of Larry I'll be posting it as well.

Congratulations Steve! You all look very happy and the speech says more than it is actually written. So no worries.

You should start thinking on new projects for the future granchildren that will come someday!

Well I got one more pic to add today...gosh I hope it isn't a pic a day or I'll never get Larry's mug on here before you all lose interest.:dunno:

From left to right:

Youngest son Christopher, Steve Jr. holding his son Aiden....and ya'll know the ole fart on the other end.

IMG_39691.jpg