Thread: Walker Turner 10" contractor saw

Walker Turner 10" contractor saw

Well, I finally found a saw somewht local for a fair price. Picked up a 10" Walker Turner contractor saw w/ solid cast iron wings and base for $150. I know no pics means im full of it. Will snap some later when I head back out there. It is a really strange setup. The motor sits under the blade and swings like a clock movement when the arbor is tilted. It also has a built in blade shroud to connect to a dc system. I am geussing it weighs around 300lbs.

The blade has some writing on it that is hard to see but, looks like It has a M+S on it. Anyone heard of this brand?

Here is a linkhttp://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...20pics/001.jpg to the pics of the saw.

Al,

Neato! Nice saw! Your description of the tilting mechanism got me curious, so I looked it up on OWWM - http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Walker.../wt1937cat.pdf
    (page 32 of the pdf)

Very cool set-up and with a cast iron stand to boot! My old Rockwell/Delta unit seems so - well, so conventional in comparison.

Wes

PS Don't know about the blade.

Congrats, Al. I don't think I've seen a contractor saw with a cast iron base like that. A little bit of elbow grease and that thing will look nearly new.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I am going to sand blast the the saw and stand and repaint it. For now I sprayed the top with degreaser and it stripped all the old wax of and left a nice looking top. Had to upgrade the cord as the motor is a 2 horse and the cord was only 16 gauge. The fence is not the proper one and is mounted a 1/2" to high on the back. This means the miter gauges hit the rail and stop.

One other intresting thing about this saw is that there is a bar that locks the two miter gauges together to act as a cut off sled. Plus the miter gauges are geared and have preset sops every 15 degrees or you can lock it in anywhere between.

Almost positive that is a Unisaw fence on there. No idea what came on though.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    Almost positive that is a Unisaw fence on there. No idea what came on though.
    I thought it looked familiar. I only recently replaced mine. I would still be using it if I hadn't picked up the Beismeyer deal at Lowes. When adjusted and a sacrificial face added they can be nice fences to work with (IMHO).

Wes

I have not problem with mine either. I took it apart and 'restored' it.In other words put it in working order again. Not as nice as a Bessy to use I admit. But I have no complaints either. But if my miter gage was hitting...... I would not be a happy camper either.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits