Thread: Porter Cable 390 Sander

Porter Cable 390 Sander

Anyone have any comments on the new Porter Cable 390 ROS? It hasn't started shipping yet. The one feature I really like is that it has an electronic brake on it - so I assume when you turn it off, you can set it down immediately without it walking all over the place.

I saw a review somewhere that said it will sell for about $129.

Anyone know of any other 5" random orbit sanders that have a brake on them?

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Anyone have any comments on the new Porter Cable 390 ROS? It hasn't started shipping yet. The one feature I really like is that it has an electronic brake on it - so I assume when you turn it off, you can set it down immediately without it walking all over the place.

I saw a review somewhere that said it will sell for about $129.

Anyone know of any other 5" random orbit sanders that have a brake on them?

Mike
    Hi Mike ,
    Haven't seen this feature anywhere as of yet. Sounds like a good feature but the one I have is a PC 5" 8 hole, hook and loop for about $65.00. Must be some other up grades from the one I use.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

That one looks interesting. It's the first sander I've seen in a while with any substantial improvements. (I watched the video on the P-C site.) It's a bit pricey compared to the little $30 - $40 Ryobi that I've been unable to kill for the last three years, but for someone who does a lot of sanding, I suspect it'd be a good investment.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

It sure does look like they have raised the bar on that one, certainly could see someone who does a lot of sanding put up the extra bucks, much like the Festool sanders, or a good Pneumatic sander set up.
    The look of this new sander certainly reminds me of their newer low profile belt sander, which is getting good marks.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The sander uses a "brushless" motor. If you'd like to know how a brushless motor works, I found this article on Wikipedia.

It's interesting to me how semiconductors are being applied to improve electric motors. VFDs are another example of semiconductors being used to improve electric motors.

Stu's Nova lathe gets its variable speed from semiconductors.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.