I need a drill press

In a nutshell.... Single phase is what you have in your house, mostly 110V but also 220V for your dryer, maybe your electric stove. You can also have it, or have it made available in your garage/shop for some tools that use it.

3 Phase (triple) is used mostly in commercial applications, but some heavy duty tools also require it. You would have to have the power company bring it to your house, if they can, for those motors.

You can get most tools you will need with motors that run on 100V, single phase, so that's going to be your best/easiest choice.

:wave:
For motors, three phase is great. But getting it from the power company is not easy unless you're in an industrial area. In most places it's not available in residential areas - that is, it's not even available on the power poles. It's also more expensive to wire your shop for it (compared to single phase) - and it's more expensive for the power company to supply it to you.

But as Greg said, if you have large motors it's wonderful. And the motors are more reliable because there's no starting circuitry (or centrifugal switch).

Mike

for the level Im at, Im pretty sure Id go with a rigid. The delta only if I could secure a great price on it.
fence, power are all important factors, but the rigid and delta are fine machines.
another factor is mobility, since I have limited space and a bad back, I have to be able to move the machine with some amount of ease.

I got to see a rigid closeup and was impressed with its ease of movement with that mobile base attached. (I met a fellow member and he showed me how simple it was)
Dont remember what model it was, but it was a rigid with the same base Im looking at.
I cant imagine power being an issue with me, since the Ryobi I use now seems to put out enough for my needs.

I WOULD really appreciate it if anyone hears of some site trying to thin out inventory and offering some decent prices, posts it up here.(or a retail outlet inthe Northeast)
My laptop died tonight, had to shift some of the woodshop funding into a new computer.

Last edited:
Allen,
glad you liked the tool 'test drive'. The herculift Is a bit of a bear to assemble, but once you get it together it sure does a great job. My saw is the 3612, you'd be looking at the 3660 these days.

for the level Im at, Im pretty sure Id go with a rigid. The delta only if I could secure a great price on it.
fence, power are all important factors, but the rigid and delta are fine machines.
another factor is mobility, since I have limited space and a bad back, I have to be able to move the machine with some amount of ease.

I got to see a rigid closeup and was impressed with its ease of movement with that mobile base attached. (I met a fellow member and he showed me how simple it was)
Dont remember what model it was, but it was a rigid with the same base Im looking at.
I cant imagine power being an issue with me, since the Ryobi I use now seems to put out enough for my needs.

I WOULD really appreciate it if anyone hears of some site trying to thin out inventory and offering some decent prices, posts it up here.(or a retail outlet inthe Northeast)
My laptop died tonight, had to shift some of the woodshop funding into a new computer.

ouch, sorry to hear about the computer issue.

The Herc-U-Lift wasn't that difficult, as I recall. If you get stuck, there are enough of us with that saw we can get any pictures or other details you might need. ;)

you didnt warn me Id have to assemble the base!

soon, one more chair, then its time to go pick it out.

Allen, it's not that bad to assemble. I bought one for my Buddy's Rigid TS that he keeps in my shop last year so I could move it around while working on the shop, and I had it assembled and installed in 30 minutes (by myself) from the time I opened the box. I liked it so well, I bought the last three when they went on the closeout sale, to use on other items of MINE.:D

Im sure Ill have it by monday, just not sure if Ill be able to assemble it myself, this shingles stuff is driving me batty, actually walked out of my work area and threw the towel in yesterday, just couldnt concentrate.(Im not a very happy camper in work today)

Last edited:
Happydance2.gif

my son offered to put the base together when he gets home from work, so I figured I wont argue with him.:thumb:

now as long as I pick up the lumber tomorrow, I have to start thinking about a planer.

2 and a half hours later, its far from assembled.
This is something a guy with a bad back would not be able to do alone.

After assembling the Herculift base, it worked great, then we decided to tighten it all up, broke a bolt, and once we leveled it out perfect, we lifted it too high, the lift system doesnt work, so it was time to call it a night.
Weve both been up since 6am, worked all day, and had enough.

didnt make any sawdust today, just showing what a clean tablesaw looks like.

Attachments

• wood stuff 215 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 215 (Medium).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 14
  • wood stuff 216 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 216 (Medium).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 14
  • wood stuff 218 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 218 (Medium).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 16
Hey Allen
Great to share in your excitement. There is nothing like a putting together a new tool. Enjoy it.

Vaughn I like the snoopy where did you get it. He is my favorite along with good old Charlie Brown.

... Vaughn I like the snoopy where did you get it. He is my favorite along with good old Charlie Brown.
I have no idea where I originally found it. It's something I've had a copy of for a few years. Feel free to copy it for yourself. (Right-click -> Save As...) ;)