Here are some photos of my progress with my hand tool cabinet project.
I completed and attached the doors with piano hinges. The doors are just 3" deep boxes with dovetailed joints. They each have a 1/2" thick plywood panel.
The infamous "reverse dovetail" drawers were installed as well. They got stopped dados cut in the sides and poplar drawer slides were installed for them to ride on. The drawer pulls are walnut and were turned on the lathe. I WAS going to buy them but couldn't find ones that were the right size. It only took me 6 to 10 minutes a drawer pull to complete each one (I made 16. 4 extra in case I messed up!)
I need to install a small cover plate in the front that is about 2" wide and as tall as the doors. This will cover the gap between the doors when they're closed. Mostly it's a retainer for when I add the lock. The Gap Plate (as I'm calling it) will have a 3/8" wide strip on walnut inlayed down the center. This will break up the doors and make it more symmetrical. It will give the illusion that there is no break in the lines of the doors. I cut the rabbit and glued the walnut in place tonight.
I need to cut and install the french cleats. Then I will sand and seal the entire thing. After that I'll give it a couple coats of wipe on poly and hang it. Then I can work on the tool/plane holders.
See ya around,