would anyone be interested in......

Frank Fusco

.....a new ivory substitute? I have been searching for a material that would be a great ivory substitute and finally found one. This material machines and works nicely. It is slightly yellow, more just off-white. With time and handling it will take a patina just like real ivory does. But, and its a big BUT, can I successfully market it? The price is quite high. A 1 1/2"X1 1/8"X5" piece would be $25.00. Small good news, with the purchase of two or more, I would cover shipping. This size is, of course, adequate for the largest pens, like Emperors. Before I make the investment, wadda ya think?

Thats a pricey blank Frank. The one thing I would want to know about it before jumping in on some is how stable is it? I know buffalo horn moves around quite a bit.

It is a synthetic, very stable. You probably already own some. But, for now, exactly what it is will be my little trade secret.
Yes, pricey, that's why I'm inviting comments. It is about double what places like Craft Supply sell their 'alternate ivory' for. But mine is more ivory looking in appearance and takes a natural patina. For my tastes, that is more desirable.

I can't really speak for the synthetic ivory market (as I haven't used it myself), but it does seem to be a pretty steep price. How much is real (legal) ivory?

I recall that stuff you are talking about Frank, the name of it slips my mind right now :huh:

I'll tell you how I know, the last time that Jean-Francois Escoulen was here, he had a couple of really, REALLY beautiful pieces done in his famous off center wobbly style, they were super nice, and when I saw them, the first thing that jumped to my mind was that they were Ivory :eek:

I asked him, and he said that they were NOT Ivory, but this man made stuff that looked acted and turned as good as Ivory, or better, but it was a no go for him, and he gave it up, would not turn anymore. I was curious, as these pieces were spectacular, but he said that everyone who sees them thinks they are Ivory, and because of that, no one will buy them, as they think of the dead elephants it came from :doh:

He said he tried to educate people but their reaction was that if they bought something that "LOOKED" like Ivory, it could drive up the demand for the real thing, so they would not touch any of the fake stuff with a ten foot cattle prod....... Go Figure :dunno:

Good luck with it. :wave:

... but he said that everyone who sees them thinks they are Ivory, and because of that, no one will buy them, as they think of the dead elephants it came from :doh:

He said he tried to educate people but their reaction was that if they bought something that "LOOKED" like Ivory, it could drive up the demand for the real thing, so they would not touch any of the fake stuff with a ten foot cattle prod....
IIRC, this is why the Nauga is now extinct. :eek::rofl:

So Stu, are you saying my orangutan coat with the ivory buttons and condor feather accents wouldn't go over well? :p

In my school days I remember going to a slaughter house and getting cowhorns and leg bones to make things, like letter openers, corkscrews and so forth.

Those bones were pretty thick and big, and once cleaned of all meat rests and tendons in a bath of H2O2 100% volume they came out pristine white, but soon would take a yellowish patina, sure they were not ivory at all but for some inlays in boxes worked very well.

There are several urethane resins in the market in two components that set in about 15 minutes and can be coloured before setting or after, they can be sawn, turn or mecanized as well, and they are used to make castings from silicon molds to fake ivory figures.

They are rather expensive though, at least here, and the minimum quantity is 1Kg.

I can't really speak for the synthetic ivory market (as I haven't used it myself), but it does seem to be a pretty steep price. How much is real (legal) ivory?

I believe teensy blanks, less than 3/4" square and suitable for only about half a pen, cost around $350.00. Plus, as an added bonus, they love to fly into pieces if you look at them cross-eyed.

I have found several (retail) outlets that sell this same material as an ivory substitute. Happily, maybe, their prices are approximately double what I quoted. Some much higher. However, these posts are still just a test for interest. I understand the price resistance. I have never paid $25.00 for a pen blank either. But, consider this: If you can sell an Emperor for $300.00 with a $75.00 materials investment, that is not bad business.