Rockler tenoning jig.....mini-review.....

While in Arlington, TX for 2 weeks, I bought the Rockler Shop Basics heavy duty tenoning jig. I contacted Vaughn. He and I have the same t/s and he measured his miter gauge groove for me before I bought it. Thanks again Vaughn. Jim O'Dell provided me with a coupon that almost paid for the cost of shipping to my home in Idaho. It arrived before I did late last night. When I announced it in another thread here, someone reported they'd bought one and it wouldn't align with the table saw blade. Well, the saw is in Idaho, the tenoning jig was on it's way to Idaho and I couldn't do much about it.

This morning I was able to assemble it for the first time and try it on my t/s.

Yup.....The body would not adjust over far enough away from the blade to allow you a slice off properly.

Being mechanically inclined....and with 4 holes drilled in the body...I'll just cut a piece 3/4" plywood and screw it to the body. That'll move the "work piece" over 3/4" and while I won't have much adjustment, it'll work and I"ll have some fine adjustment.

Then I flipped the whole thing over. Bless Rockler and some engineers heart for their forethought! A 2nd milled dado groove with two drilled and tapped holes to the left of the one the miter guide was currently attached. I unscrewed the miter guide, moved it to the other slot and it was now within the middle of the adjustment range. It worked like a charm!

Nice going Rockler!

No photos. The wife has the camera and she and the MIL who were supposed to arrive here in 20 minutes......due to a Delta computer glitch, won't be arriving until 2140 this evening. I have more time to go play with my new toy.....er.....tool...
biggrin.gif

View attachment tjig.bmp

Last edited:
That jig is being sold under several different brand names. For some reason, mine smells like a bear. ;)
The slide wouldn't fit into the slot on my $89.00 Delta table saw. With help, fashioned one that would.
Table saws, especially when things like dado blades are installed, scare the snot out of me. But, I really do need to use this one day.
Congrats on yours, it will help make some nice items.

Ken,

I have the same one. I haven't used it much yet but, it has worked well.
I have a Craftsman contractors saw, and I had to move the mitre bar over too.

The only problem that I had was in moving the bar over. The head on one of the hex screws totally stripped out. I had to drill it out and replace it. fortunatly I didn't need it right away so this wasn't that much of a big deal, just a bit of a pain.

Same one here too although the documentation that was packed with it said "Jet" on one sheet and "Powermatic" on another insert. It is Rockler blue though ;-)

I put my RT miter track the same distance from the cutter as my tablesaw miter track so I can use jigs on both more easily. I just got setup to make some sliding DTs for small wall cabinets I am making as gifts.

tenon jig sliding dt 005.jpg

I use scrap and a couple passes to get a tight fit. Once setup, you just blow through them.

tenon jig sliding dt-1.jpgtenon jig sliding dt-2.jpg

I offset the pieces to get a shadow to make this easier to look at.

tenon jig sliding dt-4.jpg

That jig is being sold under several different brand names. For some reason, mine smells like a bear. ;)
The slide wouldn't fit into the slot on my $89.00 Delta table saw. With help, fashioned one that would.
Table saws, especially when things like dado blades are installed, scare the snot out of me. But, I really do need to use this one day.
Congrats on yours, it will help make some nice items.

Frank,
Tenoning jigs aren't meant to be used with dado blades. You use a single, 'regular', saw blade to cut the tenon cheeks.