Rockler cross-cut sled

Does anyone have any recommendations (positive or negative) about the Rockler sled? I have a TS3650. The online descriptions don't tell me the width of board it can handle for 90 degree cuts. I would get the offcut accessory for the right side of the blade if I bought this unit. I'd appreciate any input on this or comparably priced alternatives. Thanks

Tony

Tony,

I ain't telling you your business or them their business, but personally I wouldn't go in that direction.

Lots of people make their own crosscut sleds, and there are tons of tutorials out there. It ain't rocket science. I personally learned a ton making three of them for my 3650. Each one was better than the last. Most people end up very happy with their shop made sleds, even if it takes a couple tries.

In the end, I decided I was sick of fiddling. I ordered the incra miter 5000. The thing's a dream. I just used it to make this:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9960

I'm not saying you couldn't cut those angles with the rockler, I *will* say I wouldn't even have tried... ;)

So that's my best advice: make a good one, or buy the best you can find. The rockler seems like an intermediate step, and it may end up being a dusty decoration on the shop wall, an object lesson in how not to spend money... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Bill and Ned: Thanks. I don't have as much time as I would like in the shop; we're here until October and then Florida for the winter. I'd rather buy a good jig than spend the time fiddling (as Bill put it) with a shop-built unit. I'll probably keep an eye on the sale price for a couple of weeks, and then suck it up and order the Incra. It looks like a better (and bigger) unit. I appreciate your input.

Tony

Rockler's sled, like it's cousins are for smaller pieces. The 23x23" bed is about the size of my miter sled. I have four sleds; large, "normal", miter, dado. They jut take a couple hours to build (longer if you put finish on them). I would say the Rockler should handle anything that can fit on the bed's surface. If you are after a good 90* on long boards like bookcase sides, you are probably after more support.

Tony,
Oh I'd like to have an incra too, or a Dubby, but I'll go with a Bulken in the meantime. Can't wait to see what you build with it, cause if it gets you more time in the shop, that's always a good thing!

Speaking of time in the shop.... are ya done yet? (just checking....):D
Ted:rolleyes::wave:

Just in case you haven't bought it yet....

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]* To get free shipping, simply place your order at Rockler.com by using the link above or entering promotion code V8796 at checkout. This offer cannot be combined with other offers or applied to previous orders. Some offers available only online. Rockler Woodworking and Hardware reserves the right to limit quantities, correct errors or omissions and modify or end this promotion at any time. Additional shipping charges will apply for express orders, international orders, orders to Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, VI and select over-sized items. Free Shipping offer expires July 20, 2008. Sale prices expire on 7/20/08 or while supplies last.[/FONT]

Let me cast my vote for Incra, for one specific reason...the GlideLOCK miter bar. This is the one with the nylon discs that are "spread" into the miter slot by tightening down a set screw. The bar slides smoothly in the slot, and can be adjusted to no wobble. I have 4 of them...at one time Incra was selling just the bar, and I had a few jigs in mind, so I bought them "just in case". I have one left unused and I'm hoarding it. They really are the berries. In my opinion you can find 3 or 4 after market sleds that are well-made, and they'll all do the job, but what will really set them apart is how they ride in the slot.

Cheers.

Tony,
Oh I'd like to have an incra too, or a Dubby, but I'll go with a Bulken in the meantime. Can't wait to see what you build with it, cause if it gets you more time in the shop, that's always a good thing!

How cold is it in Lakeport? I lived in West Monroe for about 35 years before moving to the Cumberland mountains of Tennesssee. Tell me what you know about the Dubby please. I had never heard of one until recently. Have you ever used one or know of anyone who does?