supporting a free standing column

I'm in the process of removing a brick covered patio slab and a Nextwood deck and replacing with colored concrete pavers. Total area of 640 sq ft. I built a covered patio which is supported by two vertical columns and ledgers against the house. The contractor will saw cut around the columns to keep the footing support for the columns. Light fixtures are mounted on the columns. I want to incorporate another 6 foot unsupported free standing column in the "field" of pavers. I intend to dig a 18"x18" footing about 12" deep and fill with concrete and use a Simpson base cap to mount a 4X4 post as the basis for the column.

My concern is how steady and solid will this free standing column be? It can't be supported with any type of horizontal bracing (it wouldn't look good).

Looking for suggestions on how to reinforce the column and make it really solid. Your comments appreciated.

Bob
San Diego

Bob,

What forces do you anticipate endangering the column? Kids? Dogs? Ripped surfers? ;)

Seriously, I have to contend with two of those three. Just yesterday, my three year old ripped a tread off the deck stairs. Took him about 40 minutes. I saw him working it, but figured it was safe. Wrong! ;)

How heavy will the column be? What will it hurt if it falls over? When you dug down, did you go all the way to the hardpan, or better, into it? (and yes, I've dug my share of holes in San Diego... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bob :wave:,
Just brainstorming here, thinking of using a piece of rebar or galvanized pipe or some rod of reinforcement to set post down over once the vertical piece has hardened in the concrete, sticking up about 18" maybe 1" diameter, inserted in the pre drilled hole in the post.
My thinking leads toward somehow creating a continuation of the post, (out of a substance other than the wood itself) that will in fact go down into the concrete and truely solidify the post maybe (at the time of the pour), either plumb or leaning slightly to the off plumb:doh: Hopefully plumb!:D
Shaz :)

Hi Bob :wave:,
Just brainstorming here, thinking of using a piece of rebar or galvanized pipe or some rod of reinforcement to set post down over once the vertical piece has hardened in the concrete, sticking up about 18" maybe 1" diameter, inserted in the pre drilled hole in the post.
My thinking leads toward somehow creating a continuation of the post, (out of a substance other than the wood itself) that will in fact go down into the concrete and truely solidify the post maybe (at the time of the pour), either plumb or leaning slightly to the off plumb:doh: Hopefully plumb!:D
Shaz :)

That is the way I put legs under all my decks. I pour a pier from deep w-in mother earth and add a bar protruding about 6 inches (most drill will only reach 6") then the post (or leg) has a hole drilled in the center and slip the post over the peg. I also add a spacer to allow water drainage for wood posts. the weight of the deck or Pergula wil hold it down whilst the peg will keep it from being kicked out from under. In a high wind area it is often wise to use a strap (ugly) to secure the post or column to the ground