Thread: Sweet Mother of Pearl...I did it...

Sweet Mother of Pearl...I did it...

Yeah it took me a whole year of heavy carpentry, a bit of logging, plenty of snowmobiling and lots of sheep planning, but I finally did it. I entered my shop and started a new woodworking project. Not one for the house addition, and not a project that Alyson needed, but an honest to goodness, completely useless custom wooden model.

Now you guys know how much I like making those. I did not get very far granted, but over the last two days I just toiled in my shop like the good old days. Cutting tiny pieces of wood into all kinds of strange configurations. Oh the smell of freshly sawn wood, listening to the bandsaw whine, having glue all over my fingers, arms and pants...yep sure felt good.

Now I have wanted to make a model of this machine for a long time. After Al gave Alyson her first ride on a tractor, I figure it was the perfect excuse to make a wooden model of his machine. I posted this picture in the Off Topic section the other day, but for those of you that missed it, this is Alyson on her first tractor ride, and a picture of the machine I am going to make a custom wooden model of.

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Looks to be a fun project Travis. Can't wait to see some pics.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Grew up here in south Ms...the "Pinebelt"

Congrats

Seems Congrats in order. Having a 2 yr old without the farm I can still appreciate the monumental task of finding the time. Can't wait to see the final product!
    "Humility is a strange thing, once you think you have it, you have lost it"

Hi Travis.
    Looking forward to see the pics! Alyson must be excited about it and I'm sure she's gonna love it!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

No pics...you know the drill.

Glad to see you're making some "fun" sawdust again.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Yeah its tough finding the time, and even when I am in my shop I keep going knowing I might not be able to get back for awhile. Still that is no way to work. When you are tired or uninspired, the work does not come out as good. Still I got a lot more done then I expected. Maybe this week I can run out and grab a picture.

Next weekend is a 4 day weekend...maybe just maybe it will rain and I can get back in there. If not then its chopping haylage, cutting wood or any number of things that take up time outside of the shop.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"