Quick project... sandpaper box...

Bartee Lamar

I am finally putting the finish on the Table that I have been working on forever, but that is a different story. Here's the link to that album.. Go the the last 10 or so pictures.

So I am finishing this table using Waterlox, and a hand rubbing technique that uses wet/dry sandpaper to rub in each coat. So of course I needed wet/dry sand paper. Off to Peachtree Woodworking to purchase bunches of wet/dry sand paper. 220/320/400/600/800/ and I really need some 1000. I got a box (100) of each. I like having supplies at on hand.

Now my sandpaper pile is really starting to bug me. So I was looking at the Projects Pages over on www.lumberjocks.com and saw several sandpaper organizers come by.

So here is my contribution to Sandpaper boxes...

I cut the back stops for each slider on the bandsaw.

IMG_2335.jpg

I made each of the sliders out of left over flooring. The man-made stuff that snaps together. I put glue on the joints and ended up with perfect slider's.

IMG_2337.jpg

The sides are 3/4" oak ply and the top, bottom and back are 1/2".

IMG_2338.jpg

So here are the other views of the project.

IMG_2346.jpg IMG_2343.jpg IMG_2336.jpg IMG_2341.jpg

And I had planned for it to go back on the same shelf. So the 14 7/8" height worked like it was planned.

IMG_2347.jpg

I had been messing with the parts over the last few weekends. It took about 2 hours to cut all of the dados and do the final assembly.

The design just evolved starting with the size of a piece of sandpaper and the size of the sliders.

As always there is a web album with notes.

Last edited:
Very nice, Bartee. Ive got a similar, but simpler sandpaper case that was from an old retail display. I could really use a good solution for storing the 2" sanding disks I use on the lathe.