Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laced-Edge Bowl

Laced-Edge Bowl

When I posted that picture of the Sweetgum NE bowl ("One More" post) where I had burned lines into the rim, Pete remarked that it looked like stitching. That's what I thought, too after I did it and it gave me an idea.

I used to do leathercraft way back when and I thought "why not put lacing on a bowl edge just like on a wallet?"

So, off to town I went looking for the lacing, etc. I found some at Hobby Lobby although it was more like latigo than the top-grain lacing I wanted. But, I got it anyway and the attached pics are of a couple of bowls I've done.

The first is Sweetgum, 10 1/4" x 5 1/4" and the second is Post Oak, 9 3/4" x 4". Both were finished with my homebrew and buffed prior to lacing.

I'd really like some honest feedback here. Everyone who has seen the bowls think they are really neat and I intend to order some more lacing from Tandy...some nice top grain in black and brown plus some rawhide.

But, if y'all think they are gaudy or too gimmicky then I may rein in my enthusiasm a bit.

They are fun to do and something different which is good. Looking forward to your comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laced Bowl 001.jpg   Laced Bowl 002.jpg   Laced Bowl 003.jpg   Laced Bowl 004.jpg  
    Last edited by Cody Colston; 06-30-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
    Cody

Cody - I think those are pretty cool! Never seen that embellishment done before but it works! Reminds me more of baskets then bowls! Nice work!
    Steve

Great looking bowl Cody and I like the rim treatment. Well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Grew up here in south Ms...the "Pinebelt"

laced bowls

Awesome Cody, awesome!
    "Humility is a strange thing, once you think you have it, you have lost it"

Cody, this is something new for me, studied the pictures for a while, and I find it very attractive, a very nice rim decoration.
    Can I find some information about this technic on the internet ? I'm interested.
    Great work Cody.
    Ad

Great work Cody!

BTW Did you count the holes you made?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Cody, that lacing brings back memories of doing leatherwork with my grandmother back when I was a kid. (I'd have to completely re-learn how to do that stitch, though.)

Personally, the "look" of the lacing doesn't do a lot for me, and wouldn't really work in our house (decorated in late 20th Century hand-me-down), but there are other people for whom it'd be perfect. I'm betting someone into horses or tooled leatherwork would love to have that bowl.

I think you might be onto a hot ticket with the idea.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Really cool. I don't think I have ever seen that treatment before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ad de Crom View Post
    Cody, this is something new for me, studied the pictures for a while, and I find it very attractive, a very nice rim decoration.
    Can I find some information about this technic on the internet ? I'm interested.
    Great work Cody.
    Ad
    Ad, I sent you an e-mail with the method I used in a MS Word document.

Toni, there were 102 holes in the large bowl.

Vaughn, "early twentieth century hand-me-down?"

Thanks for the comments, y'all.
    Cody

Cody, I like it! Very unique. When you get around to doing craft shows, I think you should definitely put out a couple of those. I think they would sell well, at least around here.