Unfortunately, my camera was elsewhere when I was getting ready to start this mallet so I didn't get any "before" pictures. I saw a piece of Burmese Rosewood at the local Woodcraft store that, even though it was covered in wax, had some really interesting markings. It started as a 3" x 3" x 12" block of wood. I still only have a small lathe, a Jet 1220, and I'm still really green in the turning world but keep getting my feet wet trying to learn new skills. One of my friends loves to turn mallets, as I found out last week, and after seeing all of the different sized ones he has in his shop I thought I might as well give it a try. The rosewood was not extremely wet but was still slightly damp. Again one of my first turnings I've done with wood that is not dry. I turned to shape last night and put some paste wax on the ends just in case it still had too much moisture that could cause it to crack. Today I put it back on the lathe to change the shape a little (head seemed to rectangular). I applied some Neutral color Black Bison furniture wax and then buffed it when dried. I've attached a couple of photos of the completed mallet. Feel free to comment as I find that one of the best ways for me to learn.