Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draped table opinions wanted!!

Draped table opinions wanted!!

Hi there.

I started to make the table of the attached skecht, but at some point I lost north and drifted to want to simulate a drape with the intention of making the table look as if it was table cloth standing in the air without a table underneath.

As the original idea was not that one I ended having to cut through the edge of the joint and expose the end grain of the top, which originaly I didn't want to.

To be able to make it without having to move big pieces around I made four quarters to be assembled at the end.

Now I'm disoriented, I do not know if to follow what I have started or toss away that quarter of the table and make another quarter and stick to the original idea

Question 1:
    What design do you think I should make, the original or the drape one?

Question 2: The drape, although unfinished does it look like a drape to you? Does it give the sensation of gravity?

Question3: Does the end grain showing on the top arris bother you at all?

Any comment, help and opinion will be greatly appreciated at this moment I'm lost!
    I've included three equal pictures with different lighting so you can how perception changes depending on it.

Heeeeelp!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails taula.jpg   drap003.jpg   drap002.jpg   drap001.jpg  
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Toni,
    I am no expert, so I'll just give you my "gut feel" opinions. I think your progress so far is outstanding. Hopefully some with more knowledge will chime in.

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Question 1:

I think the drape concept is really cool. The illusion of a "fabric" being "structural" has great potential.

Question 2: The drape, although unfinished does it look like a drape to you? Does it give the sensation of gravity?
    Yep, it looks like draped fabric to me.

I guess it depends how you finish it. At the moment, the hard line of the end grain counters the soft flowing lines of the drape. It would look better if it wasn't so pronounced.
    Last edited by Wes Bischel; 07-01-2008 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Question 1:

Toni,

Q1. This probably won't help much, but I like the sketch, but seeing the drape taking shape in the wood, I think you should continue with what you are working on.

Q2. Definitely, it looks like a drape. I think you are doing a great job replicating that flowing look in a very non-flowing medium.

Q3. I really don't think the end grain showing is any problem. I guess if you wanted to get more complicated you could glue on a few small pieces to the top and shape them into wrinkles in the "fabric" of the drape.

I have heard carvers say that the wood tells them what to make. I think this might be the case here, where you started out with one thing in mind and the wood has revealed its intentions.

Great work! I can't wait to see it progress along.
    Last edited by Sean Wright; 07-01-2008 at 04:02 AM.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

The draped cloth look is excellent. It flows very nicely. Your carving skills impress me every time I see them. Beautiful work.

I like the way it is looking now. It's better than the original drawing, in my opinion. I don't think the end grain will be too much of a distraction. It would be nice if the end grain did not show, but I don't think it is enough of a problem to be worth re-making that piece. Ultimately it will have to make you happy.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Sean, Wes, Vaughn.

Thanks a lot for your comments, they are helping me to clarify my mind.

As the total thickness of the top is about 2" I just had the idea of planning the top down to make the glue line coincide with the arris, in this way I could get rid of the end grain showing and use that 1/4" of thicknes to carve the wrinkles that Sean was suggesting.

Another problem is that now I do not like so much the bent over itself corner.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Toni,

This is so far beyond my skill level that I feel very odd contributing at all. WOW.
    Yes, it looks like draped material and I agree with Vaughn - the end grain issue will work out, if, for no other reason, that you are a very gifted carver and you'll make it work out!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Thanks Rennie.

But to be honest it is my first attempt at carving something that looks "soft" so your skill level is not so far from mine.

If I was so sure about my skill I wouldn't have posted this thread in search for help I wish I could foresee what will it look like eventually, chances of messing it up are high
    Best regards,
    Toni

Draping

I can only say bravo for the carving technique and character. Do you have gaudi influencing your work? It must be in the water. Congratulations also to Spain winning the Euro Cup for futbol.
    Cheers
    Irv

Quote Originally Posted by Irv Graham View Post
    I can only say bravo for the carving technique and character. Do you have gaudi influencing your work? It must be in the water. Congratulations also to Spain winning the Euro Cup for futbol.
    Cheers
    Irv
    Thanks Irv.
    I do not know if I have Gaudi's influence in my work, he was a genius and I like his work very much, specially his furniture designs, if it is in the water I should think about getting it all or selling it at good price.

As far as the Euro cup is concerned, well... it was time, 44 years since last time is a lot of time
    Best regards,
    Toni

Hi Toni!

The carving looks great! I'm not sure I understand the swag just to the right of the corner though. Doesn't seem to belong there.