Show Me Your Wood Storage!!!

Thanks Lee, I'll spend some fun time designing and playing with the idea.:thumb:

DT

I just completed making and installing a sheetgoods rack and Triton wood racks. To be safe, I doubled up on the number of Triton racks using a total of four uprights. Their weakest link, IMO, are the 1/4 inch tapcons screwed into the block wall. Hopefully they won't go bump in the night.

I was going to build a sheetgoods rack on HD casters, but because that would have limited me to too few sheets due to design limitations, I went with a fixed rack (able to hold over 12 3/4 inch plys) with a roller on one end. While I intend to lift a ply out from the front (using my new Gorilla Gripper - see photo), should I need to retreive a panel deep in the deck, I can simply roll my bandsaw and Noden Adjust-a-Bench out from the wall and roll the panel on the roller out the rack's end. The slight angle of the sheetgood rack uprights seem to hold the panels against the wall nicely without being secured, yet keep the expensive panels ($92 for maple A/1 from my local hardwood yard) straight up and protected against warping.

As a relatively new-comer to woodworking, one of the most difficult things I face is being patient enough to allow newly delivered hardwoods to stabilize moisture-wise. I want to start ripping, jointing and planing NOW!

M0st of the sheetgoods rack was built from lumber left over from pallets from new delivery tools. I could build a house with what was left from the MiniMax 410 Elite and MM20. Interestingly, one of the plywood panels came from the garage loft storage area that I removed to give more workshop headroom. That 3/4 inch panel was more than 25 years old and measured in excess of 3/4 using the caliper whereas today's 3/4 inch fell far short of the 3/4 inch mark.

Now if I can only wait for the wood to stabilize!

Attachments

• Rack01.jpg
    Rack01.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Rack02.jpg
    Rack02.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Rack03.jpg
    Rack03.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Rack04.jpg
    Rack04.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Rack05.jpg
    Rack05.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Rack07.jpg
    Rack07.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Rack06.jpg
    Rack06.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 131
Here are the rest of the photos. I call the cart my Tool Mule. It doubles as a folding design table as well as a great clamp rack. My 60 inch Bessey K Clamps just fit on the backside of the cart. I can still roll the cart next to a glue-up project for convenience. The table top simply lifts off to gain access to the lower shelves. I enjoy working at it mostly standing up rather than sitting.

Attachments

• Rack08.jpg
    Rack08.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Rack09.jpg
    Rack09.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Rack10.jpg
    Rack10.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 171
A few board feet

Nothing special when it comes to storage technique but I thought you all might want to see a few board feet that I have stashed away. This is about half of my last cutting. The rest is air drying outside. This was the best stuff so I brought it inside last Fall before the winter rainy season really kicked in.

Some QS Red Oak, QS White oak, Pecan, Sycamore, and a little bit of cottonwood.

a bunch of BF.jpg

Here's some Splated Magnolia that I had cut a couple of years ago. I'm trying to figure out what to make with it.

highly figured magnolia.jpg

Nothing special when it comes to storage technique but I thought you all might want to see a few board feet that I have stashed away. This is about half of my last cutting. The rest is air drying outside. This was the best stuff so I brought it inside last Fall before the winter rainy season really kicked in.

You fellas do things in a big way in rodeo country! :D

I just completed making and installing a sheetgoods rack and Triton wood racks. To be safe, I doubled up on the number of Triton racks using a total of four uprights. Their weakest link, IMO, are the 1/4 inch tapcons screwed into the block wall. Hopefully they won't go bump in the night.

I was going to build a sheetgoods rack on HD casters, but because that would have limited me to too few sheets due to design limitations, I went with a fixed rack (able to hold over 12 3/4 inch plys) with a roller on one end.
Jeff,

Thanks so much for the detailed pictures and description. I've been working on a plan to reorganize my shop and this is exactly what I had in mind!:thumb: You even have the overhead door and window in the same place I do!:rofl: These pictures will be a great help to me.

(Jeff's post with pictures is found here.)

A Choice Question

My 'workshop' is in the basement, in a room that can be converted to a bedroom when we can get $2.5M to sell the house :)rofl:). Our two-car garage gets some heating or air-conditioning from the rest of the house and stays within 10 or so degrees of the house temperature.

So, should I make a wood rack for mostly wax treated bowl blanks and some kiln-dried dimensional lumber in the garage or in my workshop?

It isn't a quarter mile walk to the garage so keeping the wood "at hand" isn't an issue, nor do I have vast quantities of wood at any one time because I still have my day job.

Thanks!

lumberracksfull.jpg

shortsrack.jpg

rackfull.jpg

nothing fancy, simple bracing from the studs to get the wood up on the walls.

Thank you Ned. Seeing your quantity of wood tells me I will have exactly 76.08735% less wood than you. I also realize your shop is where you work, and having it at hand is very handy.

I guess I should have couched my question from an environmental perspective. Between my basement shop and my garage, is there a major environmental difference in locations?

Frank,
Personally the storage for current projects should be where the tools are, matching environments etc... as for the basement vs garage. At worst you'd need to wait a little for acclimation once you bring it down to the shop.

and that's just about every stick of lumber I have... excluding a couple of boxes of short stock.

Mine's a lumber rack i built with 4x4 posts and 1/2" galvanized conduit "arms". Certainly cheap and holds a ton of wood. Of course, the sheet goods and pieces are leaning up against the wall in the old coal bin. The box of scraps seems to take care of itself - my 4 and 6 year old have free reign over anything in the scrap bin. They get busy cutting, drilling, hammering, sanding, and painting. every year or so, we have a scrap fire in the fire pit on the patio. Last year was a bunch fo the white oak bits and pieces left over from the new floor install. That was a sweet fire.
paulh

Thank you all, glad I bumped this thread, always nice to see the raw materials, because we see some beautiful end products on the site.

Thanks again Ned, excellent point about matching environments. Because ceiling space is all I have left in the shop I think I will hang a rack there. As I mentioned most of the wood is bowl blanks with some "project" dimensional lumber, six feet in length max.

Oh Ned, by the way, congratulations on the handsome new cats. I have two, and they are the love of my life. Adopted like yours, I feel this is a way we give back to life.

Last edited:
my first wood rack was one I downloaded off the internet, an 8 foot cart, sheet goods on one side, small pieces on the other, and shelves in the middle to hold long boards.
The picture shows it in the background.
Behind it, are the shelving brackets and standards, that is now my current wood rack. I keep the small pieces in between the studs on the walls, and lean the sheet goods in front of those.
The old rolling lumber rack, turned into my rolling work table, the one that slides under my first work table.I recycled 85% of the sheet goods, and ofcourse the 4 wheels.

(not many people have a bbq in the middle of their shop)

I have yet to come across a great lumber kill, only once I got my hands on 600 linear feet of redwood, and that I used up pretty fast. If I need alot more room, I have started using the large beams going side to side above my head, holding the garage together. After that, I have to kick my kids out, and use their bedrooms. Not good when you have a small house and no land.

I work under all that stuff in the last picture. I thank god nothing has clocked me too seriously when Im working in there.
Those bikes are pretty heavy, and those beams they are secured into are 65 years old, so I have reason to worrry.

Attachments

• wood stuff 135 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 135 (Medium).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Tiki 189 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 189 (Medium).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Tiki 186 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 186 (Medium).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 129
  • wood stuff 016 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 016 (Medium).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
I have 2.5 Triton racks to hold lumber. Out in the garage is a Triton with three wall standards because I anticipated heavy loads and I didn't want lumber falling on the Sube. Had to buy 2 Tritons to make it. That is in the first pic. Under the that rack I store sheet goods a floor mounted shelf to keep the water off and to keep me from bumping into it when I back in (small garage tight parking arrangement).

The second Triton set-up is in the shop and has just the normal 2 standards. It holds shorter lumber and, temporarily, the assortment of handsaws that I am rehabbing and that await the design and construction of a saw till. My lumber supply is currently quite low, but will increase soon because of some built-in shelves and cabinets that I must make for the house.

My wife and I are starting to become woodturners, so we have a hard time throwing any scrap wood away. I built this scrap cart which is 38" wide, by 21" deep, by 24" high. For some reason I put in 2 removable partitions which I pretty much leave in at all times. It is on wheels and I highly recommend this. To the right rear of the cart you can see some boards laying on the floor. These are native mesquite and ash neither of which moves much and they are dry as a bone, so they can handle laying on the floor for the time being.

Not pictured is a small plastic trash can which is the "kindling" storage device. It stays pretty full, but never overflows because when I put something there it inevitably winds up in my wife's turning blanks.

Speaking of turning blanks, I have not come up with a good place to store the chunks, logs, splits, burls and what not that we want to turn some day. They currently are piled up on the floor next to the lathe.

BTW, if anyone wants to turn a 2 standard Triton into a 3 standard one, I will gladly ship 1/2 a Triton to you for the cost of shipping.

Don

Attachments

• Garage Triton.JPG
    Garage Triton.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Shop Triton.JPG
    Shop Triton.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Scrap Cart.JPG
    Scrap Cart.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 94
I have posted this before, but there are a lot of new members now. Keep in mind I saw my own wood and since you cannot over-kiln wood in a solar kiln, it doubles as a kiln and storage.

Drying_Kiln-454x341.jpg

Sheet Goods Storage in Garage

In my efforts to have a place for every thing and have every thing in its place, I "hung" my small supply of sheet goods on screw-in rubber ladder hooks, spaced 16" on center into studs.

I wanted to get them up off of the floor and against the wall. As you can see in the picture I don't have that much, but with the number of hooks I used and their 10" span I can get a fair amount of lumber stored.

Not shown in the picture but added later is a 8' X 12' tarp, folded in-half over a board mounted above the storage to keep water and other stuff off of the sheet goods. I've also mounted snow shovels, et. al. on the wall above.

3105245367_75d838fd17.jpg