What would you use...

Not Dave, but I'd use a matching patch - trying to match the grain pattern as closely as possible - to fill it. I'd probably enlarge the area around the hole, and make the patch an abstract shape to help it blend in.

If you just want to fill the hole, use a plug cutter to make a face grain plug.

You could use a filled epoxy, dyed to blend, but that'd be my last choice.

Not Dave, but I'd use a matching patch - trying to match the grain pattern as closely as possible - to fill it. I'd probably enlarge the area around the hole, and make the patch an abstract shape to help it blend in.

If you just want to fill the hole, use a plug cutter to make a face grain plug.

You could use a filled epoxy, dyed to blend, but that'd be my last choice.

Thanks Jim. I like the patch idea (and so does She Who Does The Refinishing ;) ) I've used them in the past on a slightly larger scale, so this would be good practice. We'll give it a try.

Last edited:
i somewhat agree with jim but wouldnt cut a plug, clean off a abstract area and then fill hole with some maple dust and glue touch sand and then stain. this piece already has some blotchy look going on.. after you stain it if the hole stands out take some dye and a artist brush to fake it out. if you can get a sliver of the wood from inside the cabinet somewhere use that to fill the hole inlay it.

I've had luck with a little sawdust from the same piece mixed with shellac. If the gain is pronounced it will not match that but the color will be correct.

The nail has stained the surrounding wood black, so you have a bigger problem than just filling the hole. I am with Jim that the best solution is a patch, larger than the hole itself, made with solid wood selected to match grain and color as well as you can.

I have used all sorts of tricks with sawdust, etc. to hide something, but the general problem is that it is not wood (even if it is sawdust of the same wood, mixed with glue, epoxy, or shellac). Therefore, even if you get a perfect match today, it will age differently than the surrounding material, so will become obvious later. Wood filler sticks have the same problem - they aren't the same material, so they age differently.

Sorry I missed this Peter I've been really busy lately and now on a two-week ride out west. How to turn out. Plug ideas acceptable and works well. Another way of doing it for future reference is take sanding sealer and mix dust from sanding the piece of furniture. Something like a glue color mix.

Sorry I missed this Peter I've been really busy lately and now on a two-week ride out west. How to turn out. Plug ideas acceptable and works well. Another way of doing it for future reference is take sanding sealer and mix dust from sanding the piece of furniture. Something like a glue color mix.

You're not too late Dave, as the project's been stalled by other things for several weeks. Thanks for the advice, sounds like I have several solid options to consider. All the suggestions above are much appreciated too!.

Last edited:
Late to the party but on a lighter note....use a match then its off the project list for good. Lol and one less thing to have to find a place for.

Ha! It's another option, not to be ruled out. I guess you know whit I'm dealing with :)
In this case, the piece is destined for our son's new place in Dartmouth, so it shouldn't have to be jammed into our house. I'm looking for drawer bottom material now. Still haven't tackled the repair though.