What? No Plunge? DW618PK

glenn bradley

I have somehow managed to gather 5 routers without a single one of them being a plunge. How does this happen? I've been pondering for quite awhile and figured I would go with the small Triton or the Mil 5616-24 combo.

A project coming up has more mortises than I want to cut on the DP so when I saw this at Lowe's for $199, I went for it. It'll be a month or so before I finish up the current project. Once I get to test drive the 618, I'll post a review although I haven't found anyone yet (including Pat Warner) who doesn't like the thing.

Attachments

• 618-in-box.jpg
    618-in-box.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 43
Glenn,

Congratulations on the new router. I'm sure that you will enjoy your new 618:thumb:. I really like mine.

Of course every tool has its pluses and minus, and that varies from one user to the next. I especially like the smoothness of the plunge. The "through the column" DC is a good idea as well. I have found that you have to push the lock down with alot of force to keep it in place. This might just be something with my specific router. Also the turret for stepped depth settings is a good idea, but it tends to be a bit wobbly. My only other suggestion to DeWalt would be to include a clear base plate for the plunge base with a wider hole. They sell one, but don't include it. I ended up making my own from plexi-glass.

The manual didn't put much of an emphasis on it, but there is a micro adjustment for the depth on the plunge base. You adjust this, by turning the screw on the end of the depth stop rod in and out. This will allow very fine adjustments with out a tool.

Its not included with the 2 base package, but the DeWalt micro adjust edge guide is a nice addition to the 618. I picked one up from a local tool store. I think you can find them on amazon.com. If you haven any other DeWalt routers, this guide will work with all of them.

This last comment is in reference to tool makers in general. The stamped steel wrenches that they all include with their tools are terrible. I replaced the one that came with my router with a 22mm Craftsman. I did the same thing for the one that came with my table saw. The leverage is much better with a longer wrench.

I have found that you have to push the lock down with alot of force to keep it in place. This might just be something with my specific router.

I would check if there's an adjustment. Mine is stupid-easy to lock but it is brand new. :huh:

Also the turret for stepped depth settings is a good idea, but it tends to be a bit wobbly.

Yeah, known problem with this design. I have heard of folks inserting a washer made from a coffee can lid cutout. I'm gonna give that fix a try. :thumb:

My only other suggestion to DeWalt would be to include a clear base plate for the plunge base with a wider hole. They sell one, but don't include it. I ended up making my own from plexi-glass.

They must be listening. It comes with one now :D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Wright
My only other suggestion to DeWalt would be to include a clear base plate for the plunge base with a wider hole. They sell one, but don't include it. I ended up making my own from plexi-glass.

IThey must be listening. It comes with one now :D.

Glenn,

Check the clear bases, mine came with 3.
One standard for the fixed base (full circle shaped),
One wide for the fixed base (full circle shaped),
and one standard for the plunge base (d-shaped).

The ones for the fixed aren't interchangeable with the ones for the plunge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Wright

Glenn,

Check the clear bases, mine came with 3.
One standard for the fixed base (full circle shaped),
One wide for the fixed base (full circle shaped),
and one standard for the plunge base (d-shaped).

The ones for the fixed aren't interchangeable with the ones for the plunge.

Sean,

I . . am such . . . a . . . DORK! :doh:

Thanks for the pointer.