Garage/shop rearrangement

Allen, this is a t-nut.

main_tnut.jpg

Larry, best I can tell, Allen's baby is a Porsche 911. Not real great wood haulers, but they get you to the lumber yard really quickly. :D

Allen the shop is looking real good. Interesting to see you put your compressor on a dolly. I am in the midst of planning mine to go on the wall and insert a automatic drain (i think harbor freight have them). That way i can build a box like Glenn did and silence the unit. I mounted my extension roll over head in the center of the shop that way i can reach anywhere with a nailgun or what ever i want to use air for.

Sorry but i am not a fan of the car,:( must be something wrong with me but i would sooner get a nice luxury pickup. I say sell the car and while you still can build yourself a spacious custom shop. With aircon, heating, lighting and all the little extras.:D:rofl: Use the garage for wood storage.

Hey you have had the thrill of driving it and its really a battle in that part of the woods you live in so what the heck get the luxury in your shop at home instead of it being in the way.:rofl:

the car is something I wanted since I was 12. Ofcourse I couldnt afford it till I was 50.

What is a luxury pickup?

I want the compressor on a cart, since I do intend on using it soon to hang molding in my home, along with other minor stuff.

not every day is that good.

I cant figure out why I was having such a difficult time just trying to bolt down a machine. What usually takes me 6 minutes, turned into a days work.
I ended up using the Tnuts, along with the pieces of wood I cut to get exact height.
I had to use the Tnuts on left side as when I built the table, I completely forgot that the machine had to be moved over because of the wide swing, so I drilled in the Tnuts and secured it.(could not pass a bolt through with 8 inch apron)
Its height is fine now, I will now be able to build the folding support shelf, I received the brackets.
It was an incredible task for me to work under the table at first, just to secure bolts without tnuts...........my eyes just fought me every second of the way, so I enlisted some help, and her expression(I called out and said hey, I need you to crawl under this work table for me) shows just how happy she was to get down into the filthy sawdust filled floor to help out her daddy.
She did it anyway. I told her since I dont have a dog, she can be my shop mascot.Its a good think little girls grow up loving their daddies.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1050 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1050 (Medium).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 142
  • wood stuff 1051 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1051 (Medium).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 146
  • wood stuff 1052 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1052 (Medium).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 187
I had to fight with my wife to take a trip without me so she can visit people out of state. My daughter thinks I cant survive without my wife around.
I cant wait till tomorrow night when I get home from work and noone is around to tell me I cant go out and make sawdust.
Im racking my brain trying to figure out where Id put a lathe on a stand, Id hate to have to move the bandsaw from its new home.(Grizzly is having a free shipping deal, its very tempting)

very unexciting flatwork.

I thought Id get to hanging the folding shelf Im going to use for the left side sliding mitre today, but had no assistance and its something I wont be able to do by myself.
Although incredible heat and humidity today, like a fool, I devoted the day to the Tom Clark style shop cabinet Im putting under my new work bench.
The only things I did a bit different from Mr. Clarks build(besides not build it as good as Mr. Clark), I added castors, and did not lay out the pieces side by side to mark drawer slides, I made spacers for each one. They all seem to line up fine.
After I attached the face frame and back, I measured corners for squareness, and all seemed good. All the pieces were cut together and it all fit nicely.
when I finally finished and added the castors, the level showed off a bit, but I laid it on the floor, and the floor is off also over there.
Tomorrow, I will begin my nightmare, drawers, something I just cant seem to ever get right. Heres some pics of the build and progress.
Again, thankyou kindly Mr. Clark, ideas with pictures are just fantastic for us woodworking impaired.

*its not that big since I want to roll it under the work bench, and also need to have room to roll an 18x20 top mobile router table.
I had half a sheet of sapele ply left, and assorted sizes of birch ply, so instead of buying plywood, I just used it. Half a sheet of sapele costs around 65 bucks, oak ply for a full sheet is 50, so I didnt feel like spending additional dough. I dont think Ill worry so much about plugging nail holes and such, or finishing as per Mr. Clarks cabinets. Im a slob and Im sure this surface will be all marred up and stained within months.Hardware used for assembly, 1.25 inch and 2 inch PC brads, 16 5/16 lag screws for castors, and 22 inch slides.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1064 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1064 (Medium).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 141
  • wood stuff 1061 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1061 (Medium).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 137
  • wood stuff 1060 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1060 (Medium).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 134
  • wood stuff 1058 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1058 (Medium).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 128
  • wood stuff 1057 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1057 (Medium).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 125
  • wood stuff 1056 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1056 (Medium).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 126
  • wood stuff 1054 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1054 (Medium).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 125
  • wood stuff 1066 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1066 (Medium).jpg
    41 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Nice job Allen :thumb: Those are something on my to do list for the shop. Ya realize that that cabinet just might convince the Misses that "HEY ALLEN, YOU CAN BUILD CABINETS" so whens that kitchen going to be built :dunno::huh::rofl::thumb:

Cool cabinets Allen. I built a set of those before i moved into my shop, just to get the stuff i had off the floors.:rofl:

Wish i had seen your build first though cause you did something that i did not. I fitted the rails for the draws last and boy what a pain. Got them all over the place. Should have done what you did.

Anyhow I did the same as far as using up ply but mine was nowhere near as good a ply as yours.

What i really like is the wheels. Did you get those at HD. They look like heavy duty polyeurethane type?

How high is your cabinet with those wheels on. What you using on the top?

Its a real neat design that Tom Clark has given us. Nice and easy to build. I still have to finish my draw fronts and put handles on.:D

Good going Allen.:thumb:

From what I read online, the urethane castors work well on uneven cement floors and work ok over small obstacles.
I think I paid 8 or 9 bucks each from a hardware site. I dont recall the site at this moment.
Im going to put a 3/4 inch piece of plywood on top with 1/4 inch masonite.
Im going to build a torsion box(I believe its called) out of 2x3s with a larger surface area, to clamp down on the rolling table if I need to build something big and want to be able to move it around.
The cabinet will have a total height of around 32 inches with top.
Ill use it for the planer also when necessary.

I jointed 2 edges on all the plywood today so I had very straight edges to work with. Im not sure if jointing plywood is a good idea, but I can no longer handle large sheets and even breaking them down for me alone is becoming a small problem. I dont get straight cuts, so jointing what I had gave me good sharp edges and angles to get very accurate measurement.
I never have luck with drawers, I dont know why, but IM going to take my time tomorrow and build one simple draw, butt joints with brads(I will not round over any edges), I need to set up the router and trim the face frame flush on the outside. (not extremely important either, but I will do it.)