A sharpneing station / cart

Al Navas

Thanks for looking! Photos of the finished cart to come soon.

This design might be of use to others. I used eCabinet Systems software to do the design.

Sharpeningstation-withTR13032.jpg

Dimensions:
1. 38 inches wide
2. 34-1/2 inches tall, plus 4 inches for the casters
3. 20 inches deep

Materials, construction, and finish:
1. Face frames are 3/4-inch red oak
2. The rest is 3/4-inch cabinet-grade oak plywood - for purpose of this design drawing, I used different wood for the drawers and doors, to better highlight edges
3. Construction: Tongue & groove and pocket holes - essentially the Sommerfeld Tools technique
4. The finish will be Minwax Special Walnut wiped on, followed by two coats of Target Coatings' waterborne shellac, and 2-4 coats of their Superclear 9000 waterborne polyurethane (polyester-based urethane).

The cabinet will have the Wolverine grinding system on it, mounted with a dual-speed Delta grinder. Now for the design features:

1. Top left: Drawer
2. Bottom left: Adjustable shelf, with glass door, to allow viewing the contents.
3. Top right: Shelf, with door, for jig parts
4. Right - middle and bottom drawers: Other sharpening supplies
5. The casters are by Tente Casters, Inc. They provided the 3D drawing, converted to STL file format, ready for import into eCabinet Systems.
The Wolverine system will be on the left-hand side of the cabinet top, while gouges and other supplies will be at the ready on the right-hand side.

The cart rides on casters, for easy transportability between lathe (gouges, etc.) and workbench (chisels, plane irons, etc.).

I've been thinking about building some kind of cart for my grinders for sharpening my turning tools, I don't think it will be as elaborate as yours, but good ideas just the same.

Cheers!

Thanks, Stuart. It will be great to see the solution you come up with. I am sure it will be inventive!

I'm really torn between just a steel pipe on an old car wheel filled with cement, and a nice cabinet like you show... :dunno:

I have two grinders, one slow speed that need the space etc for the tool grinding jigs, and one high speed that I use for my MDF honing wheel and my brown buffing compound wheel.

I'm thinking a fairly narrow cabinet (with lots of weight in the bottom) on locking casters (has to be mobile) and have the main grinder on top, and the buffing/MDF honing wheel on the back, a little lower than the top......

Cheers!

Al,

Thanks for the motivation. I finished my sharpening station today. Part my design and part Norm's design. I started out building his rolling shop cart and modified it by adding additional drawers (I needed more storage) and eliminating the doors and sliding shelf. I also used hardboard for the top instead of Formica since I'm not using it as an additional out-feed table and it is replaceable if it is damaged.
Sharpenig Station.jpgSharpenig Station1.jpg

Hi there.

I love both designs ( Al's and Rick's), actually I'm thinking about building something on the same line, not for a sharpening station, but more like a "most frequently used tools chest of drawers" that I can move around my bench an use it not only to store tools but to leave them on top of it rather than on top of my bench ( it is a bit small).

Nice, Rick!!!

The one for LOML has been on hold, due to pool repairs, then sitting by the pool :rofl: and enjoying it with the granddaughters and the rest of the family, and finally today a little grass mowing after the rain we had a few days ago, and just prior to the rain today. THEN I will be able to get in the shop and finish it. Currently working on the drawers; I am using drawer lock miter router bits, instead of dovetails on the D4, which is the way I have always made them. The door is built, though, and THAT is a good feeling - must cut some Plexiglas and get it sized prior to applying the finish.

I hope to complete this some time soon - summer is filled with so much other stuff!!!

Al