I get it now!

Nick Clayton

O' boy and me thought hand tools were addicting. So the management suggested that I buy a lathe; mind you, she has never suggested a tool purchase and I have never used a lathe. Figuring I would strike when the iron was hot and never turning (no pun) away from an offer for a tool, I read as much as could about lathes in the past three weeks. Yesterday and finally purchased one; I know Stu no pictures it didn't happen. While I was given a budget I think I did ok, Nova 16/44 and some accoutrements. Remember I have never turned anything in my life so after I set it up I chucked up a scrap of 10/4 maple that I cut into a 12" blank.

I must have horsed around for a half hour getting it round and making an attempt at beads and coves. All I can say is I now understand the enthusiasm that turners have towards their hobby. I also understand the frustration from amateur turners like myself.

I have a lot to learn for sure, but what gratification to have something take shape so quickly! By the way while I will try to keep them to a minimum, please prepare yourself for uninformed novice questions:doh:

Woot! Another one bites the (saw)dust! Now you can see what we've been talking about. (Wait until you spin some fresh, green wood. You'll giggle like a schoolgirl.) :D You and Chuck Hanger both took the dive at about the same time, and we'll be happy to answer any questions that might come up for either of you guys.

Congrats Nick! As frustrating as it can be.....it can be instant gratification! I got shoved ...kicking and screaming into the Vortex last year. My name is Ken......I'm a spin crack addict..BEWARE! There are no 12 step programs for spin crack addicts! Enjoy!

Congratulations Nick. Yes, 'gratifying' is one word for the satisfaction of turning. I find 'theraputic' another that is applicable. Watching the wood spin, chips fly and a new form taking shape can take the mind off the stressful things in life.

Hey Nick, you got the Nova 16/24?

Great buy on a great lathe!!

Boy, you are sunk now, hooked and landed!! :clap:

Now, first, you got to make some neat stuff for the boss, try a pen or two, and or the perfume dispenser things, or a bottle stopper or two, buy some nice chunks of burl and git it done!

and yeah, pics dude, we need pics !! :thumb:

Well Nick; What can I say. You are such a normal looking guy with a great big smile and it makes me feel good to see what must be an outstanding young citizen. Now look at what has happened. You are one of --------------------------------- THEM, never to be normal again.

Last edited:
Well Nick; What can I say. You are such a normal looking guy with a great big smile and it make me feel good to see what must be an outstanding young citizen. Now look at what has happened. You are one of --------------------------------- THEM, never to be normal again.

Every thing is relative Allen!:D

I would like to add my 2 cents here. I have tried the turning thing a time or 2 and so far it hasn't grabbed my fancy. For me, turning is not really very fun at all. I read all these posts from people who just can't get enough and I just scratch my head and wonder what am I missing?
I have often tried to figure out why I don't like it, and this is what I have come up with:
I think the number one thing is that I don't consider myself a creative person, and I think turning is not an exact science and it is always hard to tell when you are done. I do much better when I have a plan and I can measure something, cut it out and put it together. (i know you can do this in turning, but to me it's not the same). I'm not too keen on design either.

I like taking my time, and working at a leisurely pace. I like to clamp my work piece down and have it stay put, not flying around at 90 mile an hour. If I can complete an entire project in 30 minutes, why bother?

So far, every time I turn something, I am uncomfortable, verging on scared while I turn. Especially when getting the blank round. It goes POW, POW, POW, POW, BANG, BANG, BANG and chips fly everywhere, hitting me in the arms and chest. To me that is now fun at all, just scary.

I think I am more of a Neanderthal type.

Just thought I would give you another view on the subject.

Larry, don't be at all apologetic about turning not "grabbing your fancy." We all have our likes and dislikes and wanna-dos and don't-wanna-dos. LOML isn't very much into turning either--he likes doing the flatwork--but his reasons differ a little--he doesn't see the "value" of turning something that isn't "useful" - as in decorative vases/hollow forms/etc., especially those that might have voids in them and won't hold water!! He will stand and turn pens for hours because they are useful, but trying to get him to try something creative is like pulling chicken's teeth.

I can identify with the "flying around at 90" comment - the first time I saw a bowl turned, I almost ran out of the shop where it was being turned because of all the chips flying around. But now I'm at the point where I just can't want to get my first bowl going--just gotta learn how!!

Different strokes for different folks--if everyone liked the same thing, we'd all be driving around in Ford station wagons and eating chocolate ice cream!!

Nancy

Larry, it sounds like a right-brain/left-brain thing. You prefer the analytical precision of the left brain, and turners generally rely on the creativity of the right brain. Nothing wrong with that at all. :thumb: Life's too short to spend time doing things you don't enjoy. :)

In my day job, I do a lot of left-brain, "structured" work within a pretty tight set of guidelines. Woodworking (and turning in particular) gives me a right-brain outlet where there are fewer constraints. Even when I'm doing flatwork, I prefer to not work from plans if possible, but instead make things up as I go along. Of course some projects require plans, but for those that do, I prefer to make my own plans....that's part of the creativity that appeals to me. If I'm making a box or a cutting board or other one-off item, I'm willing to just wing it. Here again, it's the lack of constraints that I enjoy.

In your case, it sounds like you've identified what you do and don't like, and are sticking with the stuff you like, as you should. Plus, that means a few more turning blanks for us turners. :p

Plus, that means a few more turning blanks for us turners. :p

On that note, This past weekend, a beautiful maple tree blew down in my son's yard and we cut it up and hauled it off to the dump, and I thought of all the turners that probably would have loved to get their hands on that tree. It was about 8" at the base. But I didn't think any of you would have come to Fort Smith, Arkansas, so I didn't mention it.

Larry, don't tell Frank Fusco (Mountain Home), Dennis Peacock, Mark Cothren (both from Conway), or Travis Stinson about that maple:eek: . All of them would probably have made that trip, even Travis from Southern Mississippi.

Nancy

Larry.....I think Vaughn will and I know Steve Russell will vouch for this. Once you get you talents to the right level, you can plan something and it pretty well turns out like you planned it.

But Nancy's right, it'd be a boring world if we were all the same!

Larry.....I think Vaughn will and I know Steve Russell will vouch for this. Once you get you talents to the right level, you can plan something and it pretty well turns out like you planned it....
I concur. At this relatively early stage of my turning adventures, I do start out with a general idea of the shape I'm after, based on the individual piece of wood. I do often let some of the details (like the collar and/or the foot) sneak up and surprise me. That's part of the fun for me.

Still, even with impeccable turning skills, if someone's not having fun doing it, then they should find something else they prefer. Just like Larry's done. :thumb:

Larry, I did some turning in High School, and did not like it at all, I did a ton of flat work, and I still like that, then, a little over a year ago, I got bit by the turning bug, dunno why, not mine to question, but I just had to give it a whirl, and I love it!

I'm also not a very creative person, in the "Artistic" sense, I think I'm inventive and good at problem solving, but artistic, well, ask my wife, I do NONE of the decorating in our house :rolleyes:

I do find that my skills in various other sports have come to help me with turning, I'm amazed at how much the feeling of a good sharp bowl gouge, cutting wood is so much like the front tire of a fast sportsbike on a hot lap at the circuit feels, clawing for grip, you can feel the traction for both, and I can feel the point where both get a little too close to the edge of what you can do, and have to back off a notch or two :thumb: The way you stand, the way you move reminds me a LOT of my martial arts training too.

The biggest thing I enjoy in turning is the discovery, you take this hunk of wood, often most people would only look at it as firewood, or something to take to the dump, but I can look at it as potential beauty, (and a lot of wood chips!! :rofl:).

I feel that often I'm not really creating much, with wood turning, more that I'm revealing what was hidden, the potential of the wood. Some of my finer bowls have come from chunks of wood that get passed over for fire wood. Yep, the discovery part is surely a big part of the allure of turning for me.

PS, don't bother me at all if you don't like or enjoy turning, it just means more free wood for us!!! ;) :D :wave:

Cheers!

Stu here is a picture of my "turning corner" in the barn.P1000934.jpg

A picture of my second attempt at turning last night when I got to use the lathe for a second time.P1000938.jpg This was from an old fir 2x4 that I made into a small square. After I roughed it I only used my skew to shape everything. This is where I learned some of the artistic side of turning. While making the last UFO shape I caught an edge and made a small scar on the top of the section. So I figured why not just make some small parting cuts on all three to make it seem intentional. I really enjoyed that aspect.

After horsing around with that, and feeling high confidence I might add, I found a 4" long piece of butternut thinking I would turn an egg holder seeing that we have some chickens LBRs.JPG. Well after roughing it out and thinking my god this turns even better than the fir and maple that I tried it all went down hill. My newly loved skew, catch - shallow gouge, catch - deep fluted gouge, catch :huh: I was perplexed seeing that I was obviously excelling to the point of rapidly becoming a master as my early centerwork displayed:rofl:

I finally got the outer portion turned to what was shaping up to look like an acceptable egg holder. Eagerly I put it in my shiny talon chuck that I purchased on my shopping spree. I go to hollow it out and, Larry you appreciate this, zing right off the lathe. Apparently a beautiful end grain catch that snapped the would be egg holder at the small stem with the base nicely mounted in the chuck spinning around:peek:

So back to reading Richard Raffan's book and dealing with the obviously painful learning curve!

Good Lord! :eek:

Great lathe, great sharpening station, great bandsaw :eek:

No moss growing on you is there :thumb: :D

But................ WAY.....WAY too clean :rofl:

Great spot you got there, you will spend a many happy hour doing you thing in that spot! :clap:

Cheers!