2nd and 3rd attempts at Lathology?

Oh here is my 2nd attempt at using a Lathe. I used a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 12" long piece of Hickory to make this mallet for using with my chisels..

IMG_5930.jpg

Saturday, while walking the dogs I found a piece of wood, looked old and rotting, but I decided to do something with it anyway. Here is what I did. The original piece was about 2 inches thick, 16 inches wide and 10 inches across. I cut it down to fit on the Mini and here is the end result... I don't know what kind of wood it is though...

This is my 3rd attempt at using the Lathe:

IMG_5950.jpg

IMG_5949.jpg

These just show some thickness:
IMG_5948.jpg

IMG_5947.jpg

This is the bottom. You can still see some of the screw holes from the chuck, but I was afraid to chance it..
IMG_5951.jpg

I watched a video online on how to cut the bottoms and I made a jig with a thermos top :rolleyes: and a piece of rubber to attach to the chuck. It wasn't pretty, but it did the job... I used the Lathe tools from Harbor Freight.
I used a clear fast-drying poly because I have a whole can I am trying to use up... I'm not the best finisher...Also, on close examination you can see some of the tool marks, but it was so fragile I was afraid of too much pressure in the sanding...

I can say that now I am officially hooked! :thumb:

Last edited:
Your mallet looks good and functional.

the platter looks great, lots of character in that piece, I'd say you are doing great.............................and yeah, you are hooked for sure :D :thumb:

A practical tool and art............I'd say you've covered most of the spectrum in turning! Well done George! You're hooked!

Funny...

I'm now looking at everything out side for turning.. heh... I need to get a smaller chuck though.

I have a nice hunk of Dogwood outside. Is that any good for turning? I'll ask that in general questions...

Thanks!

I'm now looking at everything out side for turning.. heh... I need to get a smaller chuck though.

I have a nice hunk of Dogwood outside. Is that any good for turning? I'll ask that in general questions...

Thanks!

Dogwood is usually kinda scarce. Not growing large and being ornamental, folks don't cut down too readily. When available, I sell pen blanks of D'wood. These are usually made in a European style with Christian crosses and are very popular. I have not had success storing larger pieces of D'wood as there is a worm that gobbles it up readily. Either turn, make into crosses or make into pen blanks. Or, more better, send to me, I'm currently out. ;) Yes, it turns well and, while not highly figured, is a pretty wood.